Pascal Zotto  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 07:31
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
Dec 8, 2011

Hi,

For some clients I have lots of files to translate and the file list starts getting crammed up... So that it sometimes is very difficult when adding new files to find those you just added as there is no sorting by adding date.

So my question: how do you handle this? do you delete these already translated lists from time to time?

regards,
Pascal

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Personal preferences Dec 8, 2011

I only use projects for everything I do in Studio.
And after 2-3 months I remove them from the list, as it is getting far too long.
This just reduces the length of this list, but does not remove files from HDD. So if you need to return to any project, just go to the folder where it is stored and double click the corresponding *.sdlproj file. This will register the project in Studio once again and you will be able to return to it.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Yes Dec 8, 2011

Yes.

I have a project for a customer that sends me 2-4 files to translate every working day. When the list gets too long, I delete the older Studio files. It makes no difference as the source and target files are safe elsewhere and everything is in the TM anyway.

G.

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
When deleting it says Dec 8, 2011

files will be removed completely from HDD. So I guess this only refers to the source and target documents but not to the sdlxliff which would be needed to restore the files?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The SDLXLIFF will be deleted as well Dec 8, 2011

The message is quite clear, so I would not do that.
This is in fact another reason for using projects. Project can be removed from list without deleting the file from hdd.

Jonathan Hopkins  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Different processes... Dec 9, 2011

Hi Pascal,

Here's how I do it. I also have one project for all similar files. E.g. at the company where I am employed we have several different genres that we translate i.e. press releases, business reports, publications.

So, for all corporate communications documents (press releases) I use the corresponding project with the appropriate settings. I always translate one text at a time and "finalize" (update my main TM and export a target document) each document as I finish them. (The reason for not batch tasking several files at once, is because I like to add some context information into custom fields which are unfortunately not saved in the system data in the sdltm). At this stage in Studio, the file no longer appears as an .sdlxliff file in the "File" view, but now shows me the original file ending (e.g. .docx, .xml or .htm etc.).

In this way you can also see which files have already been translated and updated, and which ones have yet to be "finalized".

I then open the project folder and archive the generated target document and sdlxliff file into a new folder which I've added to my project folders e.g.

(Not seen here are the target documents, which are saved on a different drive.)

At this point I can remove, from the source file view in Studio, the source documents that have already been finalized, and my sdlxliff files and both target and source documents, which are saved elsewhere, are not affected, but nonetheless removed from the view in Studio as well as from the source and target language folders—but you don't really need them here anymore anyhow.

Note, that when you create a project or add files to a project, the source files which are added to the source language folder in your project folder structure are a copy from the original directory (wherever they were first saved on your computer). The files can still be found in the original directory (just one of the advantages of using a project over the "Open document" approach—using the "Open document" approach is dangerous since you risk deleting the original file from the original directory, unless you've first made a copy and saved it elsewhere).

Hope that helps. If anything is unclear don't hesitate to ask. I'd be happy to help.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jonathan Dec 9, 2011

that's indeed quite a good solution. I guess with some of the freeware tools I use, I can even get that part automated.

Will keep you updated about a possible automation (at least for the copying to another folder part).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 (and 2011?) file list crammed

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search