Thread poster: Elmar Bierbaum

Elmar Bierbaum  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:16
French to German
+ ...
Dec 9, 2011

Hello,

I would like to delete some clients in the client field, whom I no longer work with. This way, the list would be a little shorter. But when I enter into the properties of the client field, in the catalogue edit mode, the red cross stays inactive. The only workaround I have so far, is to move my current project customer up in the list with the blue up arrow, so that I don't have to scroll down in the list each time I enter a term for that client.

A detail really, but it may help save some time and improve work comfort in the long run if there is any solution.

Thanks

Elmar

Direct link Reply with quote

Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:16
Italian to German
+ ...
Impossible to delete Dec 10, 2011

Hello Elmar,

it is not possible to delete a field in an existing termbase (if I remember well this is impossible because of the underlying database technology), see the following quote from the MultiTerm help:
"You cannot rename, edit or delete existing indexes or fields.
(Vorhandene Indizes oder Felder können nicht umbenannt, bearbeitet oder gelöscht werden.)"

What you might do, is exporting your termbase and reimport it into a new termbase with a different termbase definition. For example as follows:
1. Save the current termbase definition (e.g. current.xdt)

2. Export the termbase using the default export definition

2a. Optional step: Open the xml file in an adequate editor (e.g. Notepad++) and search for the entries containing the names you no longer need. Delete the names or replace by a different value which is contained in the termbase definition (e.g. the name of another customer). If you don't do this, the customer names will be imported together with your entry, however, the customer names are no longer part of the picklist.
Note: I am not sure whether having values in a picklist field which are not contained in the picklist itself might create problems in the termbase at a later stage

3. Create a new termbase using the termbase definition "current.xdt". The termbase wizard takes you through the different steps, therefore change the content of the customer picklist in step 4 (by deleting the customer names you no longer need)

4. Import the xml export of your termbase. Depending on the complexity of your termbase you may wish to create your own import filter (e.g. synchronize on index field

One remark though (without knowing your termbase definition and the usage of the customer field): I would not delete this information if you use it as "where did I get this specific term from", i.e. if the customer field is used as "source of term (Quelle/Herkunft des Terminus)".

HTH
Martina

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm, how to delete a client in the client field

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search