https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/213856-assistance_with_trados2011_and_framemaker10.html

Assistance with Trados2011 and FrameMaker10
Thread poster: Monique Provencher
Monique Provencher
Monique Provencher  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:34
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 9, 2011

Hi:

I was wondering if anybody has any ideas who to go about using Trados to translate Frame Maker Version10 files.

I know Trados 2009 didn't support the files. We had to upload them in .mif format but the headers and footers didn't appear in Trados. We had to edit these manually in Frame Maker.

I downloaded upgrade for Trados 2011 having been told this file format is supported, but my Freelancer version Trados 2001 gives me an error message (type file
... See more
Hi:

I was wondering if anybody has any ideas who to go about using Trados to translate Frame Maker Version10 files.

I know Trados 2009 didn't support the files. We had to upload them in .mif format but the headers and footers didn't appear in Trados. We had to edit these manually in Frame Maker.

I downloaded upgrade for Trados 2011 having been told this file format is supported, but my Freelancer version Trados 2001 gives me an error message (type file not supported) when I try to upload a .fm file in Trados.

Can you help me or direct me somewhere for that ? I also have download the Trados exchange tool for Frame Maker assistant, but it's not installed.

Thanks a lot.
Collapse

Pau
Pau  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
MIF Dec 11, 2011

Hi,

In fact, as far as I know by my previous experience with trados is that it does support Framemaker files. The point is that before opening the files on trados, either as part of project or as a single document, you should save Framemaker files with the extension .mif.
So, you should just open the file with Framemaker, go to the File option on the menu bar, select save as, and at this step select the file format you wish the file to be saved as in the dropdown list you'll f
... See more
Hi,

In fact, as far as I know by my previous experience with trados is that it does support Framemaker files. The point is that before opening the files on trados, either as part of project or as a single document, you should save Framemaker files with the extension .mif.
So, you should just open the file with Framemaker, go to the File option on the menu bar, select save as, and at this step select the file format you wish the file to be saved as in the dropdown list you'll find beside the save as textbox.

Once files are saved as .mif, they should be easily opened in trados. I hope this helps you.

Regards,
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why do you not check settings before you start telling stories? Dec 11, 2011

quenimo09 wrote:

Hi:

I downloaded upgrade for Trados 2011 having been told this file format is supported, but my Freelancer version Trados 2001 gives me an error message (type file not supported) when I try to upload a .fm file in Trados.

Can you help me or direct me somewhere for that ? I also have download the Trados exchange tool for Frame Maker assistant, but it's not installed.

Thanks a lot.

FrameMaker files are supported by Trados since I remember, including footers and headers.
In Studio 2009 you could read format defintions, auto numbering elements, special formatting, master pages, variables or reference pages. The only thing was, that you needed to change the settings accordingly.
Provided, that many user take this forum as a mirror of potential problems with the software, postings like yours make the impression it would not work properly, what is NOT the case. you simply did not even bother to ask someone for help with the files...

So you can process MIF 8-10 in Studio 2011. In order to process the elements you need change the corresponding settings in the FrameMaker filter.

Monique Provencher
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your help. Dec 11, 2011

Hi Pau and Jerzy for your answers.

I thought that forums where you posted a problem you had and someone who had the same experience would help you out. I must have been wrong.

I was with online with support from Trados asking for guidance and I was told that .fm files are supported, but no one told me that settings had to be changed for that matter. I must not have asked all of the required questions.

Forgive my lack of knowledge about a tool I just bare
... See more
Hi Pau and Jerzy for your answers.

I thought that forums where you posted a problem you had and someone who had the same experience would help you out. I must have been wrong.

I was with online with support from Trados asking for guidance and I was told that .fm files are supported, but no one told me that settings had to be changed for that matter. I must not have asked all of the required questions.

Forgive my lack of knowledge about a tool I just barely started using (and my sarcasism). I guess I should have known how to use it automatically when I purchased the license

I will therefore try to figure out how to change the settings. I just hope the client (afterall it is the Christmas season) who needs a translation done can wait for me to figure this out....
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Neither Trados 2007 nor any version of Studio do use FM files Dec 11, 2011

This applies also to many other CAT tools - you need to save FM files as MIF. As soon you've done that, start creating a project in Studio.
You will come to a screen, where you can add files. In this screen you'll find also a button for file type settings. Press it.
Select the FrameMaker category and go to Common.
Select the elements you need to be processed.

<
... See more
This applies also to many other CAT tools - you need to save FM files as MIF. As soon you've done that, start creating a project in Studio.
You will come to a screen, where you can add files. In this screen you'll find also a button for file type settings. Press it.
Select the FrameMaker category and go to Common.
Select the elements you need to be processed.

Forgive my lack of knowledge about a tool I just barely started using (and my sarcasism). I guess I should have known how to use it automatically when I purchased the license

I was not moaning about lack of knowledge, but because of this:

I know Trados 2009 didn't support the files.

SDL Trados Studio 2009 supports these files - so how can you know it doesn't? This is not lack of knowledge but to much of it.
Collapse

Monique Provencher
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the explanation Dec 11, 2011

Hi Jerry: I have looked at my settings and this is what I had (per your print screens)

What I meant by 'not supported' is that you cannot open the FrameMaker file type directly into Trados, you get an error message. 'File type is not supported. Be it 2009 or 2011.

I did convert the files in .mif format and can upload it in Trados and works fine up to a point.

What my problem remains is that all the variables, headers and footers, section titles from my F
... See more
Hi Jerry: I have looked at my settings and this is what I had (per your print screens)

What I meant by 'not supported' is that you cannot open the FrameMaker file type directly into Trados, you get an error message. 'File type is not supported. Be it 2009 or 2011.

I did convert the files in .mif format and can upload it in Trados and works fine up to a point.

What my problem remains is that all the variables, headers and footers, section titles from my FrameMaker file shop up in Trados editor window as Tags that I cannot translate in Trados.

These remain in English (rather than the needed French) in the target file when I transform my Trados file into the target .mif file. They have to be translated manually directly into FrameMaker, thus creating extra editing for the client afterwards.

There must be a way to also translate the tags directly in Trados. I will just keep digging. Thank you.

Regards,
Qenimo09
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you sure you have selected the corresponding items? Dec 11, 2011

As per my screenshot these items are NOT selected (this is default).
You must make sure that you select all what you need during the project creation and BEFORE you converted the files. Otherwise - and also changing these settings via Tools - Options - will not affect your project.

Monique Provencher
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Part of the variables show Dec 11, 2011

Hi: Thank you Jerry for putting me partially on track here. My settings did had Display special characters as text and Remove discretionary hyphens.

I have now tried checking Process Variables and select All variables. The results in Trados is that now I can edit my headers and footers. This is huge progress.

I still have to figure out how to have the Section tittles from Frame Maker displayed correctly as editable text in Trados, rather that non editable tags.
... See more
Hi: Thank you Jerry for putting me partially on track here. My settings did had Display special characters as text and Remove discretionary hyphens.

I have now tried checking Process Variables and select All variables. The results in Trados is that now I can edit my headers and footers. This is huge progress.

I still have to figure out how to have the Section tittles from Frame Maker displayed correctly as editable text in Trados, rather that non editable tags.

Thank you for your help.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Depends on what these titles are Dec 11, 2011

The titles may very well be tags already in Frame.
You need to check how they are placed.
Or you might need to process other elements from the setting.
Or they are located simply on master pages...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Assistance with Trados2011 and FrameMaker10

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »