Local time: 03:07
Russian to English
+ ...
Dec 10, 2011

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Performance Optimization with SDL Studio
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Performance Optimization
SDL Trados Studio compatibility with Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Hi All,

This is posted at Paul Filkin's request to address issues raised by Jim, a DNS user who is having problems using DNS with Studio. Namely "correct that" does not work for him in editor, though it does work in other Studio environments (comments, etc.).

1. Remember both of these apps are MEMORY HOGS

Lighter-memory environments (like "comment" or other CAT tools) may perform better. It is my understanding that heavy memory applications like Trados need to be Microsoft SAPI (Speech API) or Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA) compliant to work with DNS at optimum levels.

I discussed SAPI compliance with the SDL team (Jim/lead developer Daniel) in Boston at the ATA conference in October, and they seemed to take the issue quite seriously. Paul - I just found out about MSAA - please pass this spec info on to Daniel.

See "hardware" below.

2. The problem is excacerbated by the fact that (unlike Studio 2009), Studio 11 seems to have a memory leak that seems to be associated with on-the-fly-term addition. Paul has said the next service pack should address this.
3. DNS "Correct that" is ESPECIALLY memory intensive.

Diagnostic

- to be performed immediately after reboot of Windows, with only Studio and DNS running);
- each additional browser tabs is also a big memory hog. Keep browsers closed for the test.

Instead of saying "correct that," select a just-dictated phrase and press the num- (numberpad minus) key, which also launches the correction menu.

A. If the menu does not launch, I'd suspect lack of sufficient memory/processor power on the hardware. To get Studio and DNS to work together, I invested in the following

Hardware:

1. 8GB RAM (my goal: only 25-33% of memory used).
2. Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.5 GHz
3. Windows 7 64 and programs installed on C: drive upgraded to 128GB solid state drive (look ma, no moving parts!). Data stored on high-speed Velociraptor actual disk HDD.
4. Sennheiser DW Office Pro Bluetooth Microphone (I take a pretty big hit for the Bluetooth, a high end Sennheiser wired mic like the Sennheiser BW900 is actually much more sensible). Best to get a microphone with a boom that will keep it out of your breath stream. Believe me, you will save yourself much frustration erasing breath-generated "him him him" and «»«»«» marks.
5. I have a standard soundcard, but really want a high-fidelity sound card.

B. If it does launch,

1. Now really see "hardware" above.
2. Try speaking "correct that" in a very slow, measured, deliberate tone.
3. Try "Select last 4 words" then either say "correct that" or press num-
4. Upgrade to Dragon Pro:
- I can give you a script which will provide an easier-to-recognize alias for the "correct that" command (i.e. "correct that phrase"). Unfortunately, it seems that providing a text alias in Vocabulary Editor does not work with DNS commands.
- The capabilities of Dragon Pro are in any case hugely useful for working in a tag-rich environment.

In any case, I find that "correct that" only works for about 20-30 minutes in Studio due to dual DNS/Studio feeding at the memory trough. Annoying but easy (20-30 second) workaround: close DNS profile, reopen. And while DNS is busy, for good measure, close Studio, reopen.

Also, always be sure to run "check audio" several times a day.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Tom Fennell

Cross-posted on Software and Internet>Speech Recognition Forum

[Edited at 2011-12-11 00:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-12-11 00:28 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 03:07
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiple utterances Dec 11, 2011

Another issue that was raised was that

"speech data is only retained in Studio for one utterance"

not quite true.

If you dictate and the following is written:

"I very much want to sea (pause)
whether Studio truly actually retains (pause)
more than one utterance."

And then say "correct 'want to sea'" the phrase will be selected with correction options with one important condition: you must not move the cursor anywhere with the mouse or keyboard.

It seems to me that in MAPI/MSAA compliant environments (MS Word first and foremost, Dragon Dictation Pad) you can select text anywhere on the page. This is not the case with Trados yet. Since we work in segments rather than pages it is not a huge issue, but indeed a bother.

Perhaps worse is the lack of auto-capitalization at segment start.

Jim Wardell  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:07
German to English
Studio compatibility Dragon NaturallySpeaking compatibility Dec 20, 2011

Hi all,

Tom Fennell and I have had a rather extensive e-mail correspondence exploring this topic, and I wanted to try to summarize the status of SDL Trados Studio and Dragon NaturallySpeaking compatibility.

Some parts of Studio have good Dragon compatibility, most notably the Comment feature and the terminology interface. In the normal translation editor it's possible to dictate into target segments, however the Dragon correction feature does not work completely right. The main problem is that it's not possible to use your mouse to select text for correction using the Dragon "Correct that" command. Tom has discovered that, as soon as you move the cursor with your mouse, dictated text can no longer be corrected with Dragon. So paws off the mouse, kitties. The somewhat good news is that, if you don't touch the mouse, you can use Dragon spoken commands like "Select ..." to select dictated text anywhere in the current Studio segment and the "Correct that" command will still work.

The bad news is that it's difficult to use this workaround if you want to copy the entire contents of a segment from source to target when there are a lot of tags and text strings that you want to "translate around."

Sometimes in a tag- and alphanumeric-rich environment it's best to dictate an entire segment ignoring all the tags and alphanumerics, then paste them in when the initial segment of the translation is completed. Dragon can be used with Studio in this approach, provided one doesn't touch the mouse. Sometimes, though, it's much more efficient to copy an entire segment from source to target and then translate/dictate around all the tags and text strings that you want to keep intact. It now becomes hard to select the sections of text that you want to dictate over without using the mouse. The Dragon "Select ..." voice command won't work, of course, because it doesn't "understand" the foreign language of the source text. (This is also a true statement if you're using Dragon versions that have two languages implemented because you can only have one language open at one time, and this will of course be the target language.) In theory one could use Dragon cursor movement "Select ... words forward/back" commands to select the text that one wishes to dictate over, but this would be a cumbersome process that would distract one from the real business of getting a good translation.

Another workaround that Tom uses is to purchase the Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional version, which allows one to program scripts to overcome the problem I've just described.

Through the years I tested various CAT tools and thus far have found that only Déjà Vu and memoQ have full Dragon compatibility. Since Dragon can often double translator productivity, I hope that STD will start to give more attention to the current inadequacies and soon join the list of CAT tools with full Dragon compatibility.

Jim Wardell

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please re-post in memoQ forum

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio and DNS Dragon NaturallySpeaking "correct that"

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search