How to remove all target terms in TagEditor/ttx file?
Thread poster: Adrian Liszewski

Adrian Liszewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:59
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 11, 2011

Hello,

How can I erase each and every target translation in ttx file? Or replace them with an empty field, mark them as no match etc.

I am working on a file that is mainly mistranslated, I would like to start with a fresh file and input the correct text instead of making changes to the existing versions. Also, there would be no need to use "insert translation" to replace the target term with the one in TM.

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 01:59
Japanese to English
Remember: TTX = XML/TXT Dec 12, 2011

Adrian,

If you can't find any applications that do this, then you can always open the file in a regex-capable text editor and find/replace the target segments.

In the text editor I use (Dana, which has only very basic regex capabilities), it is as simple as searching for:

<Tuv Lang="EN-US">.*</Tuv>

and replacing what it finds with:

<Tuv Lang="EN-US"></Tuv>

...where US English(EN-US) is my target language.

I have successfully cleared out all target segments in both, HTML-format, and XLS-formatted Japanese/English bilingual TTX files, and re-opened/edited/saved the TTX files in TagEditor without a problem.

If you find any tools that do what you are trying to do, please post back here and let us know!!

Regards,
MLGrant

Verena Weber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Remove all target terms in ttx file with SDL Studio 2009 Dec 12, 2011

Hello Adrain,
If you work on Studio 2009 you should open your ttx file as usual and simply remove the complete target text using “Alt+Remove” on your keyboard , but don’t forget to highlight all the text/segments you want to remove. Above all, that will also remove all bad entries from the project TM.
Hopefully that is helpful for you, so wish you good luck!
Verena

Adrian Liszewski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, all done! Dec 21, 2011

Hello,

Just to provide a happy ending: I've used the Michael's method. I'm using a tool named Notepad2 (it is not from Microsoft). The actual regexp to use is .*? (question mark is the non-greedy modifier), also some tags had to be removed as well. Some "find and replace" work allowed me to save hours!

Thank You Verena for information, obviously SLD Studio is an answer, and I will have to switch to it permanently.

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 01:59
Japanese to English
Great! Dec 22, 2011

The actual regexp to use is .*? (question mark is the non-greedy modifier), also some tags had to be removed as well. Some "find and replace" work allowed me to save hours!

You rock, Adrian! Great news!

MLGrant

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to remove all target terms in TagEditor/ttx file?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search