Editing a Google pre-translated file
Thread poster: Vadim Zima
Vadim Zima
Vadim Zima  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:06
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 12, 2011

Maybe I don't see an obvious step but how can I make a global change in the document that I am translating in Studio 2011?
I am using Google Translate together with a TM. In every new segment Google suggests "Program" but I must use "Application", so I edit it manually. The same applies to several other words.

Is there a way to "find-replace" all such words in the whole document instead of editing them manually?

Thomas Rühl
Thomas Rühl  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:06
English to German
Hit Ctrl+F... Dec 12, 2011

...and then switch to the tab "Replace". Works just as in Word.

Vadim Zima
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where is the pre-translated document? Dec 12, 2011

Thank you, that's really nice and simple. But I don't see the whole document. The Editor window shows me translations only segment-by-segment... Sorry if it's something obvious. I just returned to Trados after abandoning it at the time of Freelance 5.5.
(I was amazed to find that the current version has no problems with the Cyrillic encoding)

Vadim Zima
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Dec 13, 2011

The answer to my question was right there in the Help files (good job SDL):

To specify your automated translation pre-translate settings:

Choose where you want to specify your settings.

In the dialog box that you chose to open, select Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Batch Processing > Pre-translate Files from the navigation tree.

[Skipped]

The Pre-translate Files settings are displayed. If you want to apply
... See more
The answer to my question was right there in the Help files (good job SDL):

To specify your automated translation pre-translate settings:

Choose where you want to specify your settings.

In the dialog box that you chose to open, select Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Batch Processing > Pre-translate Files from the navigation tree.

[Skipped]

The Pre-translate Files settings are displayed. If you want to apply the automated translation to a segment if no match is found in the translation memory during pre-translation, under When no match found, select the Apply automated translation option.

I must thank my colleague from St. Petersburg, Alex Ivanov, for his help and suggestions, that led me to the solution!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing a Google pre-translated file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »