Thread poster: Luca Tutino

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:57
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 12, 2011

I have an urgent project with 500 ttx files. I opened them in Trados 2009 (SP3 9.1.2297.8) using the guidelines found in SDL "TTX Compatibility Guide for SDL Trados". With no little difficulties I managed to finish the project, saved the documents as TTX (as TRADOS Tag) and was preparing to deliver.

As I wanted to make a little change I tried to open one with TagEditor, made my changes and tried to save.

At this point TagEditor crashed. And it keeps doing so with the remaining 499 files as well!!!

My deadline is past and I do not have time to rerun a pretranslation (if I manage to extract the updated memory from 2009).

I am quite desperate - please help if you can.

Luca

[Edited at 2011-12-12 15:23 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:57
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TNX files are Translation Memory Xchange files - why do you translate those? Dec 12, 2011

And please what is TMS format?

Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TTX Dec 12, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And please what is TMS format?

Dear Jerzy, thank you for your prompt reply.
I am sorry, I have been up long hours to try and solve this probem. I meant to say 500 .ttx files.
Of course I received ttx files saved as ttx files.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Great! Dec 12, 2011

Which version of TagEditor do you use?
What was the source of TTX - I mean the name of the file.
It is for example *.doc.ttx for a ttx from doc. So tell me the other extension.
And OTOH why do you not want to deliver the TTX files you've produced with Studio?
Last question: are you able to open TTX in TE, but when you try to save, it crashes?

Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Details Dec 12, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Which version of TagEditor do you use?
What was the source of TTX - I mean the name of the file.
It is for example *.doc.ttx for a ttx from doc. So tell me the other extension.
And OTOH why do you not want to deliver the TTX files you've produced with Studio?
Last question: are you able to open TTX in TE, but when you try to save, it crashes?

TE version is 8.3.0.863 (but the files should be compatible with any TE used by the clients and their reviewers)

Original version is xml (I received them as xml.ttx already). Headers starts with :

(TRADOStag Version="2.0")(FrontMatter)(ToolSettings CreationDate="20111107T170336Z" CreationTool="SDL TRADOS XConvert" CreationToolVersion="8.3.0.863"/)(UserSettings DataType="XML" O-Encoding="UTF-8" ...

I also received and used an ini file.

Yes, TE crashes when I try to save the files processed in T2009 and does not have any problem with the original files received from the client.

I have delivered the files in the mean time, but I am afraid it will be a disaster, considering that they will want to be able to review and amend them in TagEditor.

[Edited at 2011-12-12 15:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-12-12 15:48 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Astonishing... Dec 12, 2011

You do not need any INI files for Studio.
Are you able to save the target XML from Studio? Try to open any translated TTX file and chose File - Save targes as... Does this work?

Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The ini file was required by Trados 2009 Dec 13, 2011

Dear Jerzy,

I read your earlier comment on INI files in another thread in this forum. When I tried to open these ttx files, Trados 2009 would not open them, saying that could not find the ini file.
Luckily the error window also specified the original the paths where the the software was looking for the file. As soon as I copied the ini file in one of the indicated paths, the ttx where loaded in the project without any problem.

At the moment I am not able to reopen the project. If I click on the sdlproj file Trados shows and error window "Error in the XML document (13323,61).

Now the client came back asking for usable files, and I do not have them despite working the whole weekend and a full night.

[Edited at 2011-12-13 16:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-12-13 16:32 GMT]

Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can save as target Dec 13, 2011

However I can open the single bilingual translated files, both from sdlxliff and ttx format, and save them as target without problem (xml).

On the other side TagEditor crashes also if I try to save as xml a ttx translated in Studio.

[Edited at 2011-12-13 16:31 GMT]

Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To complete the picture Dec 13, 2011

I have tried to export the main TM to TMX, but it appears not to be updated, so I cannot even use that for re-translating the original ttx files.

Apparently, as I cannot reopen the project, I cannot access the project Translation Memory.

Missing any other solution I am starting the translation again as follows.
I am trying to create a new project with the translated sdlxlif files and a new TM, hoping that I will manage to create a new usable updated TMX from the translated files.
Then I will have to run import the tmx in WB 2007, and run an automatic translation of the original ttx files received from the client.

Finally I will have to spend several hours running the 500 files in TagEditor in order to re-translate the TUs that will probably be segmented differently. I hope this will not take another full night.

I would really like to receive an alternative solution (leaving out sarcasm if possible).

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
To uncomplete your picture Dec 13, 2011

Do you have no access to your hard disk?
Because otherwise I cannot see why you project or project TM should not be accessible anymore.
Or did you indeed delete it?
And please, I am not sarcastic.
What you need to do is to locate the folder on your HDD where the project was.
Then you will also find the project TM within. Just use this to pretranslate the new project.
But what I still do not understand is why TE should crash on valid TTX files?

What you also can do: write me off forum at jerzy at czopik dot com
I can pretranslate the files for you with Prefect Match, utilizing your previous project. This takes just few minutes.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Strange, as the ini should not be required Dec 13, 2011

Luca Tutino wrote:

Dear Jerzy,

I read your earlier comment on INI files in another thread in this forum. When I tried to open these ttx files, Trados 2009 would not open them, saying that could not find the ini file.
Luckily the error window also specified the original the paths where the the software was looking for the file. As soon as I copied the ini file in one of the indicated paths, the ttx where loaded in the project without any problem.

At the moment I am not able to reopen the project. If I click on the sdlproj file Trados shows and error window "Error in the XML document (13323,61).

Now the client came back asking for usable files, and I do not have them despite working the whole weekend and a full night.[Edited at 2011-12-13 16:32 GMT]

Do you have the source XML files?
Somehow it looks like the TTX files are not really valid...
I cannot imagine why Studio should ask for ini, when it opens the ttx.

Error in XML document is most probably referring just to an error in the Projects.xml file, which you can delete (this will clear your project list, but not delete any project file). It is located in the Libraries in Windows 7, Documents, SDL Trados Studio, Projects.
After removing that one double click any sdlproj file to reload the project.

Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 13, 2011

Dear Jerzy,

Thank you very much for your offer. The project directory has an .sdltm file under TM\it-IT\, with the same name as the TM I created for importing the tmx received from the client and used for translating the files.

Contrary to my TM, which was not updated, the file of this one has a time stamp corresponding the the last file translated.

I will now try to run the file through the memory once again in my system, then will write you in private.

About the ini, the UI had a very specific message, with an indication that the file had been searched and not found under various paths. I would think that if such UI messages exist, it should mean that in certain cases Studio needs the ini file. I also thought that original ttx might be a source of problem. That's why I copied the start of their headings in my first message.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The SDLTM file you found in the project directory is the project TM Dec 13, 2011

And if you double click the sldproj file, the project should be loaded in Studio.
Unfortunately I am doing a remote diagnosis here, where I just see the patient has got fever, but am not able to look into his throat or nose to make additional diagnostic. So for fever you take the project TM, create a new project and translate the TTX files.
The segmentation in Studio and in T2007 might differ, so if you export the SDLTM file to TMX to use it in Trados 2007, you will end up in correcting many matches in 500 files...
In order to be able to tell you more I would need just one (possibly big) TTX out of your project to test it here. This might bring us nearer to a possible solution.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent: TagEditor Crashes when opening TMXs processed in Studio

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search