Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 02:54
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Dec 13, 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to come to grips with my new toy: Studio 2011.
I can handle translating a single file, but now I want to go further and manage my own Studio Projects for my ongoing projects (I'm a freelancer, no packages involved).

So, I used the wizard to create a project, added a couple of .itd files and the TM, and processed the files (analyze, convert to translateable format etc.).
I can see the newly created .sdlxliff files in the target language folder of the new project folder.

Now I'm stuck - I can't work out the most elegant/fast way to open the files for translation...

Again: I don't want to create packages or anything like this - just manage my own projects.

Thanks for any help on this silly situation, Doron

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:54
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Files view - open for translation Dec 13, 2011

And this way (creating your own project) is the most efficient way to use Studio.
I create a project for anything I get - from the smallest single file to a folder tree. You can merge the files when creating the project, pretranslate them and so on. This is a clear and easy way of working.
Projects view to select the project for now and Files view to open the files. Never use "Open document" to open any files from a project.
The button "Open document" shall be called "Load a document for translation" - because you use it ONLY to start the process. When already started, never use this button to reopen a file which is already being translated on your system. Just go to Files view and open the file from there.
In case your customer is sending you several small files on regular basis you can also create a project for this customer and keep adding the files there as they come. This can be for instance done on monthly/weekly basis.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Double click Dec 13, 2011

Double click the newly created .sdlxliff file in the target language from the files view in Studio and it will open for translation.
Or right-click it and choose "open for translation"
Good luck!

[Edited at 2011-12-13 10:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-12-13 10:09 GMT]

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now the catch... Dec 13, 2011

Thanks for your advice, Jerzy and Emma, but the thing is:

In the Files View, I only see the 3 .itd files (not the .sdlxliff ones).
Nothing happens when I double-click them (and the right-click option of Open for Translation is inactive).

Sorry, I should have mentioned it in the original question.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you use any batch preparation task? Dec 13, 2011

On which language side do you see the files? Do you see the source language listed on the navigation pane or the target?
When you right click the files what is available?

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Breaking news... Dec 13, 2011

Out of curiosity, I restarted Studio and surprise surprise: the option to Open for Translation is suddenly active!

I'm sure it's not what one should do - restart the application to make the files translatable...

Any idea?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
A suspection Dec 13, 2011

After having prepared the project for an unknown reason you switched to source language in the Files view. After restart Studio automaticaly switched to target language.

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jerzy, I see your point now Dec 13, 2011

I forgot/(didn't know) about the navigation thingie on the left.

When I'm selecting the Source language - the Open for Translation option is greyed-out; when I'm selecting the Target language - it's OK.

I'll take your advice, Jerzy, and use it all the time.
I learnt something today - thanks to you two!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workflow for a freelance translator in Studio 2011

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search