Beginner question: pre-translating an updated file
Thread poster: Sander Van de Moortel

Sander Van de Moortel  Identity Verified
China
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 14, 2011

I am not very experienced with Trados, hence my question here.

I was translating a big file for my client, when half-way an update was sent. This shouldn't pose a problem, I thought, I could pre-translate the updated file using the translation memory built up with the old file. And wherever anything was changed, it would either not translate or give me a below 100% CM. Right? So far the theory. I added the file to the same project as the old file and started.

Quickly I found out that the translation units from the first file hadn't been entered into my translation memory. Fine. I don't know why, but surely using a batch task on my first sdlxdiff should do the trick (update project translation memory, or update main translation memories, or populate translation memories - I don't know the difference so I tried them all)?

Again: no, no new translation units to be found in my TM.

So I cannot run the batch task "pre-translate files" on my updated file either. Well, I can, but as there are no translation units from the previous file, this won't do much good.

What am I doing wrong? How do I efficiently update my TM from a SDLXDIFF file? And what's the difference between the three batch tasks listed above?

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Sam Pinson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:25
Member (2011)
Russian to English
This is what I would do... Dec 14, 2011

sandervdm wrote:

Quickly I found out that the translation units from the first file hadn't been entered into my translation memory. Fine.

My understanding is that Pre-translating files entirely depends on your translation memory. Thus, if your translation units are not in the TM, then the behavior you are observing make sense.

Do you know why the translation units were not in the TM when you expected them to be?

If you have an .sdlxdiff file that has TUs that need to end up in a TM (in order for Pre-translate to work), then:
1. Open the .sdlxdiff file.
2. Ensure that the TM settings are correct, e.g. that the TM will be updated when TUs are committed.
3. (Re)commit each TU.

There may be a better way, but this is what comes to my mind.
Good luck!

China
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translation units gone Dec 14, 2011

Thank you Sam.

Upon re-opening the original file I found out that all my translation work had gone. What!

Perhaps my updating the translation memory has also taken the blanks from the new file into consideration and overwritten all TUs with blanks into the TM? I find that hard to believe that software would do such a thing. Any idea why that might be?

Nevertheless, all my work has gone down the drain and I'm not sure why. Trados seems to be a bit of a dinosaur program. Hard to master, some legacy program components included in newer versions, and overall very very complicated. I wish more people would use Across

China
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translation units gone Dec 14, 2011

Thank you Sam.

Upon re-opening the original file I found out that all my translation work had gone. What!

Perhaps my updating the translation memory has also taken the blanks from the new file into consideration and overwritten all TUs with blanks into the TM? I find that hard to believe that software would do such a thing.

Nevertheless, all my work has gone down the drain and I'm not sure why. Any ideas? Trados seems to be a bit of a dinosaur program. Hard to master, some legacy program components included in newer versions, and overall very very complicated. I wish more people would use Across

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:25
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
which sdlxliff file? Dec 14, 2011

sandervdm wrote:

Presuming you saved your work (ctrl+s) before you closed it, it sounds as if you are opening the sdlxliff file that is in the source folder? Go to windows explorer and look at the sdlxliff files in the source/target folder. Are they the same size/date?
Try opening the one in the target folder.

China
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
下次吧 Dec 15, 2011

Alright, I'll try next time. I've now deleted the project because I couldn't find any .sdlxdiffs that had my text in it and the units were gone from the TM. Or they have never been entered. Doesn't a TU get entered automatically as you hit ctrl+enter? Most other CATs do this..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner question: pre-translating an updated file

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search