How do I work on a part translated bilingual MS Word file in Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:33
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Dec 15, 2011

Hi,
I have just received 6 MS Word bilingual files which have each already been around 70% translated, so each file contains say 30% of new text for translation. When I open these files in Studio 2011 I only see the 70% of already translated text, but can't see, and obviously can't work on, the remaining 30% that needs translating. I have absolutely no idea what I need to do, and really hope that I don't have to tell the client I can't work on this project, but I do need to get cracking if
... See more
Hi,
I have just received 6 MS Word bilingual files which have each already been around 70% translated, so each file contains say 30% of new text for translation. When I open these files in Studio 2011 I only see the 70% of already translated text, but can't see, and obviously can't work on, the remaining 30% that needs translating. I have absolutely no idea what I need to do, and really hope that I don't have to tell the client I can't work on this project, but I do need to get cracking if I am going to be able to do so, so any advice is really appreciated.
Thanks
Rich
Collapse


 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:33
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Pretranslate again with an empty TM Dec 15, 2011

in Workbench 2007, uisng the option "Segment unknown sentences".
Then open the file in Studio and there you go.


 

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:33
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2007 Dec 15, 2011

Thanks for your rapid response Jerzy. The problem is that I have never used Trados 2007 so I have no idea how to go about implementing your suggestion.

 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:33
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just do some basic operations there Dec 15, 2011

Start Workbench.
From the menu File chose "New". Set the corresponding language pair and press create. Do not change any settings and give the TM a name.
No go to menu "Tools" and chose "Translate".
Via "Options" there chose "Translation memory options". Make sure both "TRADOStag XML workflow ..." items are NOT checked.
Press OK.
Check the "Segment unknown sentences" item and add the file to be translated (you can drag&drop it on this window). Click translate to run
... See more
Start Workbench.
From the menu File chose "New". Set the corresponding language pair and press create. Do not change any settings and give the TM a name.
No go to menu "Tools" and chose "Translate".
Via "Options" there chose "Translation memory options". Make sure both "TRADOStag XML workflow ..." items are NOT checked.
Press OK.
Check the "Segment unknown sentences" item and add the file to be translated (you can drag&drop it on this window). Click translate to run the proces.
That's it.
Collapse


 

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:33
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 16, 2011

Thanks for the detailed instructions Jerzy.

The client ended up sending me the clean Word files to work on so I haven't had a chance to try your instructions but I definitely will as soon as I finish this project.


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:33
Member (1970)
English
This blog might be helpful too... Dec 16, 2011

... for new users who are not familiar with 2007 and want to know how to create a bilingual doc.

Studio 2011 Series : The Return of the Bilingual Word File Type : http://tinyurl.com/Studio2011-bilingualword

Regards

Paul


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I work on a part translated bilingual MS Word file in Studio 2011?

Advanced search







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search