Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Thread poster: Arankowsky
Arankowsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 19, 2011

I have Studio 2011. I have been working on a big document (285 pages) in Word. The problem is that, at the end, when I tried to convert it to Word this message appears.

I don't know what to do and my client has been waiting for the job since last Friday.

Can you help me? What do I suppose to do. Do anyone has an idea?

Thanks a lot for all your help

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:17
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I get this message on start-up of Windows Dec 19, 2011

But never when running Studio 2009.

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 16:17
Japanese to English
[View] tab > [Reset Window Layout] or reset settings??? Dec 19, 2011

Arankowsky wrote:

I have Studio 2011. I have been working on a big document (285 pages) in Word. The problem is that, at the end, when I tried to convert it to Word this message appears.

I don't know what to do and my client has been waiting for the job since last Friday.

Can you help me? What do I suppose to do. Do anyone has an idea?

Thanks a lot for all your help

This happened a lot in Studio 2009, just google the error and you'll see. In the meantime, try the following (from the thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/139544-studio_2009_object_reference_not_set_to_an_instance_of_an_object_error.html)

Emir Ozcelik wrote:

After several attempts, I tried "Reset Window Layout" within the "View" tab. At first, it really messed up the screen of Studio. Then, I closed the software and restarted it. It was like new.
I think this problem is caused because of personal arrangements of panes.

Check and see if Studio 2011 has the same menu option.

You can also check to see if the following works in 2011:

Please try the following: exit SDL Trados Studio, browse to the relevant directory.
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[VERSIONNUMBER]
Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[VERSIONNUMBER]

Here you find the following 3 files:
BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

Make a backup copy of them in a spare folder and delete the 3 original files.
Launch Studio and try again.

IF the above applies to Studio 2011 and you want to try deleting the files, PLEASE make a copy of these file FIRST!!!
(From this thread: http://srp.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/203879-object_reference_not_set_to_an_instance_of_an_object.html)

MGrant

[Edited at 2011-12-19 08:41 GMT]

Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:17
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
Images? Dec 19, 2011

I seem to remember getting this error message when I had a certain type of images in the file I was trying to clean. I had to create a source document without those images, redo the translation (which should be fairly straight forward as you should have the TM for it) and then re-insert the images in the clean file at the end. A bit of a pain, but it did the trick for me.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem persists Dec 19, 2011

Thanks a lot to every one for your comments. Unfortunately I had tried to solve the problem and it wasn't possible.

Any other idea?

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 16:17
Japanese to English
Also try saving as RTF first... Dec 20, 2011

Ditte Duclert wrote:
I seem to remember getting this error message when I had a certain type of images in the file I was trying to clean. I had to create a source document without those images, redo the translation ... and then re-insert the images in the clean file at the end. A bit of a pain, but it did the trick for me.

That is a good suggestion! And along those same lines: try saving the .doc file in RTF format (.rtf).

Saving as RTF often cleans out file corruption in Word documents, and will also produce useful error messages if there are any problems with the file (such as problematic images, as Duclert-san suggested).

MGrant

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally it is solved Dec 20, 2011

Thanks a lot to all of you. Finally, I followed Ditte advice. I took me a lot of time but it worked. I already sent the document. Thanks, you saved my life.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search