https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/214418-tageditor_print_option_greyed_unable_to_create_pdf.html

TagEditor Print option greyed (unable to create PDF)
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:56
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 19, 2011

Hi all,

I want to print a bilingual TTX as a PDF.
The intention is to show the client which tags are protected, and what text that shows up as translatable.

But in TagEditor (8.3) the Print option is greyed out. I can't print the TTX as PDF or any other format.
I was trying the Trados Tagviewer plug-in, but it doesn't display the tag content, so it's no good for my purpose.

I thought of viewing the TTX in a text editor, but that's no good becaus
... See more
Hi all,

I want to print a bilingual TTX as a PDF.
The intention is to show the client which tags are protected, and what text that shows up as translatable.

But in TagEditor (8.3) the Print option is greyed out. I can't print the TTX as PDF or any other format.
I was trying the Trados Tagviewer plug-in, but it doesn't display the tag content, so it's no good for my purpose.

I thought of viewing the TTX in a text editor, but that's no good because the formatting doesn't distinguish between translatable and non-translatable content.

Any idea why the Print option is greyed? Or any workaround for creating a PDF of the TTX?

A last resort would be to just take screen shots of the TTX, but it doesn't look very professional.

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Martina Klett
Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Only html can be printed Dec 19, 2011

Hello Jan,

only html documents can be printed directly from TagEditor, please see the info in the TagEditor help:
----------------
The Print command (File menu)
Use the Print command to print the active document.

This command is only available for HTML documents in Preview mode. To print other types of document such as XML, SGML and Workbench RTF, use the external application that you normally use for printing files of this type. You can launch
... See more
Hello Jan,

only html documents can be printed directly from TagEditor, please see the info in the TagEditor help:
----------------
The Print command (File menu)
Use the Print command to print the active document.

This command is only available for HTML documents in Preview mode. To print other types of document such as XML, SGML and Workbench RTF, use the external application that you normally use for printing files of this type. You can launch the external application directly from TagEditor if it has been set up accordingly using the Tag Settings Wizard.
----------------
I assume that in your case it is not html?

Therefore, I would create screen shots explaining to the customer that the editor you use (maybe on his specific request?) doesn't allow other options.

HTH
Martina
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 19, 2011

Hi Martina and all,

Thanks a lot for your explanation!
Unless anyone else has a workaround, I'll have to go with the screenshots.

I guess SDL never thought of this intendented use. I don't want to print the resulting target document, only what I see in front of my eyes when I open the TTX in TagEditor, with the protected tags.

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor Print option greyed (unable to create PDF)

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »