Struggling with TRADOS settings
Thread poster: PGarciaJones

PGarciaJones  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Dec 19, 2011

Hi there,

I have recently purchased TRADOS Studio 2011 and I am currently trying to get to grips with how it works (I have never used a CAT tool before so it's uncharted territory for me). I've done a couple of webinars and I seem to be able to grasp the basic functions and features. However, try as I might (and my husband who is far more tech-savvy than I am was unable to help either) I cannot for the life of me install any translation memory (the default printer one is not recognised and likewise with the one recommended by the SDL webinar hosts, My Memory).

Therefore, the term recognition feature does not work and all I get is an 'automated translation' with no matches percentages or term suggestions.

Does anybody have any idea as to why this might be? Is there something that I am missing?

Many thanks in advance.

Paula

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:41
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Create new TM Dec 19, 2011

There is no point in installing the Printer TM that came as a sample. It will only contain a few terms and is probably not in the right language pair for your project (that's why it won't be recognised).
If you can get the My Memory TM in your language pair then that should work.

However, by far the best idea is to create a new, empty TM of your own by going to the Translation Memories view>file>new>translation memory and follow the wizard.

Then add the new TM to your current project or when you open a new document. Make sure the "update" box is ticked when you add it.

Of course, you won't get any matches to begin with, but in time you will. Term suggestions and Term Recognition, by the way, are different, and come from termbases that you create with MultiTerm.

HTH.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can you see the sample project... Dec 19, 2011

... in the Projects view?

Hi Paula,

If you installed Studio and the sample files, then you should have the project in your projects view already. This being the case you should find the sample TM in here:

c:\Users\pfilkin.Global\Documents\Studio\Projects\SampleProject\TMs\

There are three:

1. English - French
  2. English - German
  3. English - Japanese

Maybe you are working on a Project that doesn't use these language pairs? In this case you need to create a new one first.

For the MyMemory translation provider you have to download and install the My Memory plugin first from the OpenExchange as this is a free plugin.

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=5

This one is only for Studio 2009 because the developer needs to upgrade the application. I believe this is imminent. But as Emma pointed out this is also going to be dependent on the availability of your language pairs.

Regards

Paul

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:41
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
I second this Dec 19, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

However, by far the best idea is to create a new, empty TM of your own by going to the Translation Memories view>file>new>translation memory and follow the wizard.

Then add the new TM to your current project or when you open a new document. Make sure the "update" box is ticked when you add it.

Of course, you won't get any matches to begin with, but in time you will. Term suggestions and Term Recognition, by the way, are different, and come from termbases that you create with MultiTerm.

HTH.

Notice that the asker said "I have never used a CAT tool before so it's uncharted territory for me" so, much like everybody else at the beginning, she does not realize that she must start with an empty TM, which can then be one per client, one per project or a general one (I do not recommend this). The same thing happened to many pelple when they first started using TMs, many of us thought that we had purchased something done and that we would open a sample TM, a document, and will start finding matches galore, not realizing that we had only purchased the software to create TMs, and that it was up to us to start using it and building our own.

English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for 'enlightening' me! Dec 19, 2011

Thank you for clarifying this for me...Indeed I assumed that the software came with a 'ready-made' TM that I could use straight away (the videos I watched seemed to imply this or maybe I misunderstood the instructions provided). I will then proceed to create my own TM and to expand it using other web-based resources as I go along.

Paul: Did you mean to imply that the MyMemory plugin does not yet work in Studio 2011?

It is all still very confusing...

Thanks!

Paula

United Kingdom
English
MyMemory Plugin Dec 19, 2011

PGarciaJones wrote:

Paul: Did you mean to imply that the MyMemory plugin does not yet work in Studio 2011?

Exactly. My Memory is not built into Studio. It is a 3rd party plugin that is freely available through the OpenExchange. The developer of this application is working on the 2011 version and it should be available soon. The place to check this is either by following me (or another SDL person) on twitter as we will announce it when it's ready, or just keep checking in the OpenExchange website here:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/

Once it's added it will probably be at the top of the list on the first page.

Regards

Paul

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
PlugIn Dec 19, 2011

Hi,

To get MyMemory PlugIn to work in 2011 under Vista or Windows 7, the workaround is quite simple:

User--> UserName--> AppData--> Local -->SDL-->SDL Trados Studio -->9 Plugins

Create a 10 folder and copy the Plugins folder from 9 into 10 and you're done.

HTH

Bernard

United Kingdom
English
Pretty good Bernard..! Dec 20, 2011

Hi,

The full instructions give to the application developers were for the most part these:

1. Standalone apps using Studio APIs/infrastructure, install location has changed from “Studio1” to: c:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio2\
  2. Plug-ins such as translation providers; Path (%Localappdata% - resolves to [c:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10\Plugins\Packages\
  3. Studio support version changed to 10.0.0

Making only the change you suggested locally may well work, but not in every case. Good if it does this time around... you saved users from having to wait for the proper version.

Thanks

Paul

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Thanks Paul Dec 20, 2011

I've been using it in 2011 ever since I downloaded it for 2009 so it does work!

Bernard

United Kingdom
English
MyMemory for Studio 2011 is available Dec 22, 2011

Hi,

You can download the new version along with some new features compared to 2009 from here:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=160

Regards

Paul

English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Dec 22, 2011

Thank you Paul, Bernard and everyone else for your help. It's great to know that MyMemory is now available for Studio 2011.

Happy Christmas!

Regards,

Paula

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Struggling with TRADOS settings

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search