Reusing past project terms from client in new project
Thread poster: Andrea Garfield-Barkworth

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:10
Member (2015)
German to English
Dec 19, 2011

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I've been struggling with this for a while and can't find a decent answer.

I was sent a project with a termbase by a client which I have finished translating and returned.
Now he has sent me a second project but this time the termbase isn't attached, he's now already left the office and, of course, needs the project first thing tomorrow. I can still see the termbase in the old project but how can I store it/copy it/move it or access it in the new project. I do have my own termbase set up but in the first project none of the terms were used really, only in this second project, so none of them are in my TM's.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
What product are you using? Dec 20, 2011

Hi,

I'll assume Studio in the absence of any information. All you do is click on Project Settings and then add the Termbase you already have in the other Project to your new Project. No need to move it, just point to it.

The full path in project settings is this:

Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - Termbases

Regards

Paul

Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Dec 20, 2011

Yes, I'm sorry, I forgot to add the product.

I'm very new to Trados having migrated from Across. The thing is I was sent the translation as a packet and although I can see the termbase from the client and have added my own, it doesn't seem to be stored separately as a termbase. That is I can see it when I open the project but can't see a separate setting that gives it a name or that it even exists.

So how can I store it from the original project so that I can retrieve it for the second project. At the moment I have both projects open so that I can still use it.

I'm sure that once the principles of studio have been understood it has great functionality but I appear to have been a little too spoonfed by Across.

I appreciate your help, thank you.

Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Have a separate Termbank now Dec 20, 2011

I've managed to contact the PM who has sent me the Termbank in a separate package, so that I can now store and retrieve it for future projects. It hadn't previously been sent as its own termbank but was integrted into the project package somehow. Is it not possible to extract this? Or have I misunderstood something essential here?

JoyceAurik
English to Dutch
+ ...
extracting files from a package.... Dec 20, 2011

...is possible (and quite easy!). Simply store the package where you want it, change the extension into .zip and extract it at the same location as where you stored it. This way you get to see the different files that are in the package (and use them separately).

Good luck!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
The elusive termbase Dec 20, 2011

Hi,

The termbase can reside anywhere on your machine and it is just pointed to in the Project Settings. But, if you receive a Project Package that includes a Termbase then open the Project folder like this by right clicking on the Project name in the Projects view:

Then you will see the Termbases folder here:

Hopefully this is simple enough?

Regards

Paul

Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Dec 20, 2011

Paul, that was exactly what I needed to know.

Thank you for taking the time to upload the screenshots, my version of studio is in German and sometimes it can be a little tricky to find exactly what you need.

Many thanks, again a real lifesaver.

@JoyceAurik thanks for taking the time to reply. That's an interesting method you have there!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reusing past project terms from client in new project

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search