Batch Search and Replace for Trados 2011?
Thread poster: Rosa Grau (X)
Rosa Grau (X)
Rosa Grau (X)
Spain
Local time: 08:19
English to Catalan
+ ...
Dec 20, 2011

Is there a Search and Replace tool that allows you to find and replace text on multiple files in Trados 2011? I have tried to find such an tool in Trados Studio but it does not seem to be there, unless I have not been able to find it...

I have also tried to install SDL Batch Search and
... See more
Is there a Search and Replace tool that allows you to find and replace text on multiple files in Trados 2011? I have tried to find such an tool in Trados Studio but it does not seem to be there, unless I have not been able to find it...

I have also tried to install SDL Batch Search and Replace from here:

http://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/myapps/?AppID=35

but it does not install unless you have Trados 2009 installed on your computer.

I believe it really should be included in the main Trados 2011 package, as it is one of the tools that translators use the most.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Where to find Batch Search & Replace for Studio 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Hi Rosa,

This app is installed with Studio. So take a look here in the programme Group:

Regards

Paul

Rosa Grau (X)
Rosa Grau (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found it Dec 20, 2011

Thanks, Paul, it is there. I was looking for it on the main Trados window. Why is it not included there? As I said, it is a feature that translators use regularly and it would be very useful as part of the Editor.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The main window Dec 20, 2011

Hi Rosa,

We have around 40 applications on the OpenExchange now, and more that some companies have developed solely for their own use. I think what we need is a facility to drag and drop apps into the Studio Home page and then customise these as you see fit... adding one or two that some people use a lot as hard code is not really the way to go.

Maybe we'll see something more on this in a future release.

For the time being, most apps are added into the Ope
... See more
Hi Rosa,

We have around 40 applications on the OpenExchange now, and more that some companies have developed solely for their own use. I think what we need is a facility to drag and drop apps into the Studio Home page and then customise these as you see fit... adding one or two that some people use a lot as hard code is not really the way to go.

Maybe we'll see something more on this in a future release.

For the time being, most apps are added into the OpenExchange folder in the Programme group so probably the best thing to do is create a folder of shortcuts and add it to your task bar. Then you can get at them quickly. I use Total Commander and have a row of apps I play with a lot in the menu bar there... probably most users have tools for this type of thing somewhere.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Fabio Salsi
Fabio Salsi  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:19
English to Italian
+ ...
batch search and replace Jul 23, 2012

I think that a batch search and replace if you work on projects with more than one file is a "basic" feature. In other tools it took me 10 seconds to find and use this feature, I am surprised it is so complicated to do such a simple task in Trados

Kerstin Green
Kerstin Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:19
English to German
+ ...
Batch Find and Replace does not work for 2011?! Oct 16, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Rosa,

This app is installed with Studio. So take a look here in the programme Group:

Regards

Paul

Have I got something totally wrong here? I got no such app in my installation and the one on the website only works with 2009.
I can't believe that there is still no such standard function in Studio...

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Yep... Oct 16, 2012

Kerstin Buessenschuett wrote:

Have I got something totally wrong here? I got no such app in my installation and the one on the website only works with 2009.

... it is definitely installed with the product and you'll find it in the location shown in the screenshot. This is the only way it is distributed and it is not on the OpenExchange.

Maybe also look for this file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio2\Sdl.Utilities.BatchSearchReplace.exe

If you can find this you do have it.

Regards

Paul

Iryna Storozhko
Iryna Storozhko  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:19
English to Russian
+ ...
batch search Jul 4, 2013

I'm with Fabio Salsi. Batch search is a basic feature. Or at least there should be a way in concordance search tool to see which files contain that segment. Because when a project has many files and you have to replace a term - there's no way to find the segment, you just have to open all of the files and search one by one!

I_CH
I_CH  Identity Verified

German to Italian
+ ...
I agree with my colleagues... Aug 12, 2014

... Fabio Salsi and Iryna Storozhko.

Once again SDL Trados Studio 2011 shows how it is unnecessarily complicated and even uncomplete compared to other products.

[Edited at 2014-08-12 08:16 GMT]

I_CH
I_CH  Identity Verified

German to Italian
+ ...
What's the logic Aug 12, 2014

Dear Paul
when you buy a car or a house, are you asked to look in a special part of it in order to find the key to open the door? Why isn't this feature clearly visible in the main application? Why do you complicate life to translators?

Best
Alberto Sala

SDL Support wrote:

Kerstin Buessenschuett wrote:

... it is definitely installed with the product and you'll find it in the location shown in the screenshot. This is the only way it is distributed and it is not on the OpenExchange.

Maybe also look for this file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio2\Sdl.Utilities.BatchSearchReplace.exe

If you can find this you do have it.

Regards

Paul

Worked for me, but... Aug 29, 2014

I agree, it's not very user-friendly to have to work so hard just to find the batch search and replace tool.

InDesign has a very nice S&R function that allows you to choose S&R across all opened files. It's very handy.

Thanks for posting this (and for your detailed reply).

Rhonda

Kaori Kawakami
Kaori Kawakami  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:19
Member (2015)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Find and Replace Error Message for Trados 2014 May 16, 2016

Hello colleagues,

I have been using Find and Replace for this project I am currently working on. Then suddenly from this afternoon, I got this message:

The operation failed.
Error: Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: internal-file, header, file, xliff, Line 220203, position 1.

Even I have my Trados closed, I got this message. (I tried with other project, and it works file with them. Just this project).
... See more
Hello colleagues,

I have been using Find and Replace for this project I am currently working on. Then suddenly from this afternoon, I got this message:

The operation failed.
Error: Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: internal-file, header, file, xliff, Line 220203, position 1.

Even I have my Trados closed, I got this message. (I tried with other project, and it works file with them. Just this project).

Translating that project has no problem. And I really want to use this app as this project is huge. What can I do? Does anyone have any idea?

Thank you in advance.

Kaori

[Edited at 2016-05-16 23:45 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Batch Search and Replace for Trados 2011?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »