SDL Trados Linked to Google Translate as Translation Memory
Thread poster: Ken A. Maitland

Ken A. Maitland  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:18
German to English
+ ...
Dec 20, 2011

I am a rookie on the SDL software and I am working my way through the rather tedious user guide, but I saw a post that Trados can be linked to Google Translate as a Translation memory.

Could you please explain the steps on on to do this for Trados Studio 2009?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:18
Member (1970)
English
Same for Studio 2009 and Studio 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Hi Ken,

Today CU15 for Studio 2009 was released and this added the updated API V2 for Google capability that is needed to work with the paid version of Google Translate.

This means that in 2009 and 2011 you now have two ways of using Google as shown in this screenshot (from 2009):

So basically go to Tools Options - All Language Pairs - TM and AT
... See more
Hi Ken,

Today CU15 for Studio 2009 was released and this added the updated API V2 for Google capability that is needed to work with the paid version of Google Translate.

This means that in 2009 and 2011 you now have two ways of using Google as shown in this screenshot (from 2009):

So basically go to Tools Options - All Language Pairs - TM and AT and then click on Add to give you a list of providers similar to the ones in my screenshot.

The two Google options are:

1. The SDL built in plugin.

2. The OpenExchange add-on from Patrick Porter

I think the Open Exchange version from Patrick is a better option because it has some nice additional options including preventing the same segment from being sent to Google more than once which obviously saves you money. But both require you setting up your Google Account to get the API key so Google can charge you for the translations.

So for the SDL version you need to update Studio 2009 to CU15 that was released today, and for the Open Exchange version you go here:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=155

I hope this helps?

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2011-12-20 17:49 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Linked to Google Translate as Translation Memory

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search