SDL Trados Linked to Google Translate as Translation Memory
Thread poster: Ken A. Maitland

Ken A. Maitland  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:38
German to English
+ ...
Dec 20, 2011

I am a rookie on the SDL software and I am working my way through the rather tedious user guide, but I saw a post that Trados can be linked to Google Translate as a Translation memory.

Could you please explain the steps on on to do this for Trados Studio 2009?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:38
Member (1970)
English
Same for Studio 2009 and Studio 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Hi Ken,

Today CU15 for Studio 2009 was released and this added the updated API V2 for Google capability that is needed to work with the paid version of Google Translate.

This means that in 2009 and 2011 you now have two ways of using Google as shown in this screenshot (from 2009):

So basically go to Tools Options - All Language Pairs - TM and AT
... See more
Hi Ken,

Today CU15 for Studio 2009 was released and this added the updated API V2 for Google capability that is needed to work with the paid version of Google Translate.

This means that in 2009 and 2011 you now have two ways of using Google as shown in this screenshot (from 2009):

So basically go to Tools Options - All Language Pairs - TM and AT and then click on Add to give you a list of providers similar to the ones in my screenshot.

The two Google options are:

1. The SDL built in plugin.

2. The OpenExchange add-on from Patrick Porter

I think the Open Exchange version from Patrick is a better option because it has some nice additional options including preventing the same segment from being sent to Google more than once which obviously saves you money. But both require you setting up your Google Account to get the API key so Google can charge you for the translations.

So for the SDL version you need to update Studio 2009 to CU15 that was released today, and for the Open Exchange version you go here:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=155

I hope this helps?

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2011-12-20 17:49 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Linked to Google Translate as Translation Memory

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »