Thread poster: Shai Navé

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:27
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Dec 21, 2011

Hello everyone.
The above stated issue is bothering me for a long time now, but recently I'm working on some heavily formatted source documents and this really hurts my productivity as I need to reformat the translated text after cleanup.

In short, when I use TagEditor (I don't use the Word plug-in) or Studio 2009 all the tags and formatting are displayed correctly. in Studio 2009 I use the "show all tags but don't show formatting" option.
I, of course, always make sure
... See more
Hello everyone.
The above stated issue is bothering me for a long time now, but recently I'm working on some heavily formatted source documents and this really hurts my productivity as I need to reformat the translated text after cleanup.

In short, when I use TagEditor (I don't use the Word plug-in) or Studio 2009 all the tags and formatting are displayed correctly. in Studio 2009 I use the "show all tags but don't show formatting" option.
I, of course, always make sure that all the tags are present in the translation -- no missing tags or broken tag pairs.
Up to this point everything is fine.

However, after cleanup, most of the formatting is lost. It happens practically in all documents, and it is really frustrating. The main issues are:
1. Bold, Italics formatting is gone -- The target text don't show them. However, when I select in Word the text that is supposed to be in Bold or Italics, the "B" icon in Word's ribbon is highlighted as if the text is indeed in Bold (or Italics for that matter). When I click the "B" icon in Word's ribbon it is deselected (as to show that the text is not in Bold) but then the text itself appears in Bold, i.e. the text is rendered just the opposite of Word's formatting.

2. Font change -- sometimes the font in certain sentences/paragraph is different from the source surrounding them, even within a single paragraph.

3. Font size -- the font size isn't kept. For example, when there is a section header or a list header that are larger than the rest of the text, the text appears smaller than what is should be (e.g. font size 12 instead of 14). Sometimes, the formatting is rendered correctly, but then carries to the entire paragraph making the rest of the text unnecessarily Bold and larger than it should be.

It is worthy to note that most of the issues are present when I translate into Hebrew, when translating from Hebrew into English it seems as they are less common (but still noticeable). For example, the Bold and Italics formatting is lost in all Hebrew words, but if the sentence/paragraph has a number or word in Latin letters in it, the formatting of the number and latin letters is usually preserved and rendered correctly.

From reading several posts here, and by using some common sense, it is logical to assume that the source of this problem is due to some conflict in the document's styling and not a Trados issue per se.

Things that I have already tried:
1. Saving the source in different format (docx or rtf) before starting to work on it - didn't help.
2. Reseting the normal.dot file (as I changed the default font of the normal.dot template) -- in the beginning seemed to have some affect, but it was probably just a coincidence. I Cannot determine if this changes anything as the problem persists.
3. Adjusting the line spacing and scale, as well as disabling font kerning in the normal.dot file - didn't help.
4. Even after completely removing the formatting from the document in Word (via Word's "Clear Formatting" option) prior to translation and some parts were not rendered correctly in the target document (Bold parts, font changes, font size changes).

As I've said, I believe that it is a document styling conflict issue, but run out of ideas for troubleshooting this very annoying issue.
I would greatly appreciate any input and advice.

[Edited at 2011-12-21 07:55 GMT]
Collapse

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:27
Member (1970)
English
Example documents Dec 21, 2011

Hi Shai,

If you could share the source document and your translated SDLXLIFF from 2009 I would be happy to take a look and see if anything sticks out.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:27
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 23, 2011

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your kind offer.
I've send you one sample document that shows the formatting issues that I've mentioned that are common to other documents as well.
The same issue also appears when cleaning up a TTX file in WorkBench.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting is lost after cleanup of documents in Trados 2007/Studio 2009

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search