Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
2011 service pack 1 crashes mercilessly
Thread poster: Paul Carmichael

Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:56
Spanish to English
Dec 21, 2011

It seems random. I installed SP1 this morning and Studio crashes even when unattended. I just started a new project and left Studio doing it's batch stuff. Went for lunch. Came back and it's crashed. It's a big memory leak/stack-overflow or something.

The first crash was immediately after the "upgrade" (downgrade?).

Is there a log file I can consult? Oh, damn - it's on Windows, isn't it. Maybe a registry entry or something?

I was going to ask for help at the Trados site, but that's impossible without paying extra.

Can I roll back to pre-SP1? It's obviously a bad SP.

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Recreate TM? Dec 21, 2011

Dear Paul,

I haven't upgraded yet (for fear of exactly what you're experiencing). Anyway, this is a completely uninformed shot in the dark, but still: You might want to try to recreate your TM.

Look here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/212975-trados_studio_2011_crashes-page2.html#1861631

Studio 2011 crashes a lot less since I've done that.

Let us know if it helps.

Kind regards,
Erik

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Getting help Dec 21, 2011

Hi Paul,

If you don't have a support contract then I suggest you raise a case like this. Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download and Installation Problems
- The installation went fine, but now I get an error message when opening or using the program.
-- The error occurs in SDL Trados Studio 2011.

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted.

Regards

Paul

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not the same thing. Dec 21, 2011

efreitag wrote:

Dear Paul,

I haven't upgraded yet (for fear of exactly what you're experiencing). Anyway, this is a completely uninformed shot in the dark, but still: You might want to try to recreate your TM.

Look here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/212975-trados_studio_2011_crashes-page2.html#1861631

I'm already using 2011. It's the service pack that's killed it. 2011 was fine (albeit painfully slow) before the "upgrade" today.

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Try anyway Dec 21, 2011

Paul Carmichael wrote:

I'm already using 2011. It's the service pack that's killed it. 2011 was fine (albeit painfully slow) before the "upgrade" today.

Yes, I know. Might be worth a try anyway.

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
We'll see what I can provide. Dec 21, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Paul,

If you don't have a support contract then I suggest you raise a case like this. Go to the Knowledgebase;

- The installation went fine, but now I get an error message when opening or using the program.

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted.

Paul

Thanks, but I'm hoping to pin it down a tad first. I used to be a programmer, so I know what it's like to not be given enough info. But I must say, that so far it seems pretty random ie; without user input, which suggests I may have to try to get a stack trace or something.

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ticket submitted. Dec 21, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Paul,

Regards

Paul

Ok, done that. There is no option to submit a screen shot though. It throws an out of memory exception after a period of time doing nothing (maybe auto-saving?) There is a big memory leak in this SP.

jimshanks
Local time: 12:56
Dutch to English
Not experiencing problems here Dec 21, 2011

I know this will not help your problem, but I have SP1 installed (win7 64 bit running on an iMac under Parallels Desktop 7) and am not experiencing any problems working on two merged ttx files with in excess of 13,00 words. iTunes, iCal and Safari are running on the iMac and I have a dictionary, IE9 with 3 open tabs and a 10 page word document open on the virtual Windows machine with no loss of performance or crashing.
You mentioned that Studio 2011 was already painfully slow prior to the installation of SP1 which would seem to indicate that you already had a problem prior to the installation of the SP?
As I said, not much help in your case, but I don't think the SP is bad.
Jim

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
strange it hasn't been mentioned... Dec 21, 2011

this is from another thread, about Studio 2009/11 and DNS...

2. The problem is excacerbated by the fact that (unlike Studio 2009), Studio 11 seems to have a memory leak that seems to be associated with on-the-fly-term addition. Paul has said the next service pack should address this.

Now, it's not exactly the same problem, but there's definitely a memory leak problem...

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/213890-studio_and_dns_dragon_naturallyspeaking_correct_that.html

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Roll back? Dec 22, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Paul

They haven't contacted me yet. Can I roll back this update? The program is now unusable as it is crashing all the time. I can not work, so this is costing me money every minute.

It didn't do this before the update.

Please respond.

Thank you.

United Kingdom
English
Rolling back Dec 22, 2011

Hi Paul,

If you still have the installation file saved on your PC, then you could uninstall and reinstall the old version. If not there are two options:

1. Maybe be use windows to restore
2. We can give you the old installer

There should be an Engineer in contact with you shortly, so I think it would be best to discuss the options first as the solution to the problem might be within the current build you have installed.

Regards

Paul

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. But I'm not holding my breath. Dec 22, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

There should be an Engineer in contact with you shortly, so I think it would be best to discuss the options first as the solution to the problem might be within the current build you have installed.

Paul

Ok, thanks. What worries me though, is they are going to try and claim that it's because of my configuration. I know support people of old. This did *not* happen before today.

If the problem is that the new SP has increased the memory footprint, then we should at least be told. But as it is throwing an exception, I suspect that it may be something else and the out-of-memory exception is the default exception handling. I never did like exception handling, as it just masks errors, but that's just my opnion. I wonder if MS will be in touch, as when it just crashes without an exception, it sends a crash report to MS. My PC has sent about 4 so far today.

Sometimes it recovers from the exception handler. But is probably horribly unstable.

I've increased the memory for XP just in case that helps.

United Kingdom
English
SDL Support of late... Dec 22, 2011

Hi Paul,

I doubt Support will try and claim anything. They will try to help and if there is a problem with the build we won't be hiding anything... rather we will try to get it resolved as quickly as we can.

Regards

Paul

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent. Dec 22, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

I doubt Support will try and claim anything. They will try to help and if there is a problem with the build we won't be hiding anything... rather we will try to get it resolved as quickly as we can.

Paul

Update:

At this moment the program has been sitting there for 30 minutes with an egg-timer and a message saying: "Updating auto-propogation index", so I'm going to have to kill it (and lose my work, of course).

Poo.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
you won't lose your work... Dec 22, 2011

Paul Carmichael wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

Paul

Update:

At this moment the program has been sitting there for 30 minutes with an egg-timer and a message saying: "Updating auto-propogation index", so I'm going to have to kill it (and lose my work, of course).

Poo.

it will be in the memory, if you have confirmed the segments. You'll probably lose just the last segment...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2011 service pack 1 crashes mercilessly

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search