Error: "Attempt to write a read-only database"
Thread poster: John Fossey

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:48
Member (2008)
French to English
Dec 21, 2011

After translating about 10 segments, my Studio 2011 stops writing to the TM, with the error message "The translation memory data file engine returned an error: Attempt to write a read-only database." Once this happens, the program no longer recognizes anything in the TM, even just committed segments. The only way to stop this behaviour it is to close Studio 2011 and reopen it, which of course is not practical. What gives?

[Edited at 2011-12-21 16:18 GMT]

Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Update Dec 21, 2011

The problem seems to be related to this morning's update. I rolled back the update and the problem seems to have stopped.

[Edited at 2011-12-21 14:52 GMT]

claudio42  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:48
English to Italian
I have the same problem Dec 22, 2011

Hi John,

After installing TS2011 SP1 I have the same problem but do not know how "roll back" the update.
Can you help me please?
Many thanks in advance.

Claudio

Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Having the same problem Jun 18, 2012

This has been happening to me for two days now (using Trados Studio 2012). I'm not aware of any recent updates that might have caused this problem, and simply shutting Studio down and reopening doesn't seem to make any difference - the TM becomes "read-only" again within one or two segments. I haven't got any filters in place, I haven't changed any settings (wouldn't know how)....anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

AnetteO
English to Danish
+ ...
Me too ... Jun 18, 2012

I have the same problem working on SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance, I cannot find out exactly when it started, but it's so frustrating and almost impossible to work. I have checked for updates today, and I have the latest fixes etc.

I have searched everywhere on SDL Trados' homepage, on Translationzone and on the internet to find an answer - with no luck. Like Denise, I have no filters, I haven't changed any settings etc.

So please, anybody knows how to fix this?

AnetteO

Spanish to English
+ ...
Getting desperate... Jun 18, 2012

I'm getting really desperate today - I have one TM for everything, and Studio disables it after every two segments. None of the work I'm doing is being saved to the TM. I've had to create a new TM in order to work, but that means none of my previous work is now available...

Please help, someone!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Access rights maybe? Jun 19, 2012

Hi Denise,

It sounds like some kind of access issue based on your description. Is the TM on a shared drive, on an external drive perhaps or in a folder where you don't have proper rights to be able to write to it?

If it's none of these things then the best route for you is to log a support case through the solution finder. It's quite simple, go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- The installation. went fine, but now I get an error message when opening or using the program
-- The error occurs in SDL Trados Studio 2011

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

Spanish to English
+ ...
Work round Jun 19, 2012

Thanks Paul. I guess it must have been something like that. I implemented my usual Heath Robinson style work around, by copying the TM that had suddeny become write only onto a pen drive, and opening it on my other computer, where it worked fine. So I changed it a bit, changed the name, and copied it back onto my first computer, where it now works fine again (touch wood). Not a very elegant solution (would be better to know where my access rights went, and why), but I'm not very computer savvy.

Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Unlocker Jun 19, 2012

As I recall, this was (yet) another problem caused by an access conflict which I solved using Unlocker at http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html.

Strangely, I don't get the problem any more (knock on wood). Unlocker will tell you exactly which program is preventing access to the file.

Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Jun 19, 2012

for that John. I've bookmarked the page for future disasters.

AnnaKuzm
United States
Local time: 05:48
Same problem here several months later Oct 18, 2012

I am running SP2R on Win 7 and now ALL my TMs generate this error since yesterday! Support seems to still be pondering the problem after asking for some additional info a couple of hours ago (I do have a support contract)
Anna

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Backup Drive maybe? Oct 18, 2012

Hi Anna,

We never really identified a problem in Studio for this error. The last similar issue I came across was related to a backup drive that locked the TM while it backed the entire TM up every time the memory was updated. This was happening without the user knowing this at all.

Perhaps you have something similar running?

Regards

Paul

mwatchorn
Local time: 12:48
French to English
+ ...
same problem here Apr 18, 2013

I'm working with Trados Studio 2011, Windows 6.1 (Build 7601 SP 1) and this problem is occurring across all my TMs and projects since a few days ago. It used to happen occasionally but has now become endemic. I have tried logging the issue with SDL support as suggested by Paul on this thread but receive an error message when I try to do that too.
Any previous workarounds I previously implemented such as copying and making a new TM are to no avail as the problem recurs within minutes. I have disabled my backup program. I have all the latest updates installed. Anyone have any idea how I can fix this problem?

The support message reads as follows:
Caught exception https://snjbmcweblb.sdl.com/arsys/resources/javascript/7.6.04%20SP3%20201208230934%20Hotfix/moz/ClientCore.js:11 - Error:

Permission denied to access property 'external'... AT:
etc. etc.

Thanks in advance,
Miriam

Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tried Unlocker? Apr 18, 2013

Have you tried Unlocker as described above? Frankly I still find it a lifesaver in many cases, probably end up using it 1-2 times a week. I think it's something to do with poor programming practice - when a program opens a file the programmer must remember to release the file (unlock it) after use. The Unlocker program will tell you which program is locking the file and one of the worst culprits is Windows itself. Other programs that touch a file, such as backup software mentioned above, can do the same thing. The program that can't access the file is probably not the culprit but the next program to try to access it after the culprit.

mwatchorn
Local time: 12:48
French to English
+ ...
re same problem here Apr 18, 2013

Hi John,
thanks for your feedback. I downloaded Unlocker when this problem first occurred but although it is listed on my computer under my programs, is located in my Start folder and on my icons, when I click it nothing seems to happen. So I wonder, is it either running in the background (in which case I can't see what is being blocked) or did I just download the wrong program?
I just restarted Studio again and it updated itself to SP2R. Not sure yet if that's going to change anything but would appreciate your advice on Unlocker,
thanks in advance,
Miriam

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: "Attempt to write a read-only database"

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search