Are winzip files supported by the starter version of Trados 2011?
Thread poster: Toby Wakely

Toby Wakely  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:10
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 23, 2011

I´m new to Cat tools, but I seem to be having many problems in getting to grips with Trados. I have the Starter version of Trados 2011 and Ihave an idea now of how to translate single files. A project manager sent me a file in winzip format, but I can´t seem to import it as the message keeps appearing: "file type not supported." Is it impossible for me to work with winzip or can it be converted to SDL format or do I need to upgrade?
Anyway, I´m having problems with the Starter version. The Trados training and guides seem to be designed mainly for the other versions. For instance I can´t create a project package because that function is disabled, but if I can´t create packages I can only work with single files.Please advise.

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Replies Dec 23, 2011

twakely wrote:
A project manager sent me a file in winzip format, but I can´t seem to import it as the message keeps appearing: "file type not supported." Is it impossible for me to work with winzip or can it be converted to SDL format or do I need to upgrade?

This may be a dumb question, but have you tried unzipping the zipped files before loading them to Studio?

For instance I can´t create a project package because that function is disabled, but if I can´t create packages I can only work with single files.Please advise.

Project packages can be created with the Professional version only. With Starter, however, you can receive project packages prepared for you and send Return Packages back.

[Upraveno: 2011-12-23 13:35 GMT]

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:10
Member (2009)
French to English
Unzip first Dec 23, 2011

I agree with Stanislav. There is no real advantage to trying to work with zipped files. The zip format is intended to save bandwidth when transmitting or storing files. There are few programs which work with them in the zipped state. WinZip itself has a free trial version. I use 7-zip which is a free utility which does everything WinZip does more elegantly.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
One more vote Dec 23, 2011

Jenn Mercer wrote:

The zip format is intended to save bandwidth when transmitting or storing files. There are few programs which work with them in the zipped state.

Yep, zip files are compressed archives. They are not intended to be processed as-is. You have to unzip them and work on whatever is inside.
In fact, I'm pretty sure that the few programs that appear to handle .zip files directly also unzip them internally.

Toby Wakely  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 23, 2011

thanks,

yes I tried decompressing the winzip files, but I think the real problem is I´m using the Starter version of Trados and it seems it won´t let me transfer all the files at a time.I think the only way I would be able to transfer them all at once would be to upgrade or transfer them one by one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are winzip files supported by the starter version of Trados 2011?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search