Basic Translation Memory for TRADOS
Thread poster: Vladislav Kasyan
Vladislav Kasyan
Local time: 08:20
English to Russian
Dec 25, 2011

I recently started studying Trados. So far, I understood very little, but I have a question. When I use Google Translation Toolkit it has make primitive translation of the text, that is Google has his own translation memory, which translates the text completely. When I started working in Trados, I saw that I need to translate the text from beginning to end without any ready translation. My question: Can I download for Trados any open and common translation memory, which would completely translated the text, and then by reference on this translation I can to carry out my detailed translation? If it is possible, how I can to download it? Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:20
German to Lithuanian
No, you can not Dec 25, 2011

10 years ago I also had this dream, when I started using Trados
No, there is no such thing as a "basic translation memory" - you should study the concept of "translation memory" further.
Every translator has his own translation memories.
I personally create a new translation memory for each project.
This is why translators are still needed

Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 22:20
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
No free lunch Dec 25, 2011

If such thing existed, most of us would be probably out of business.

Google has a translation algorithm (maybe it builds some kind of TM from its users inputs, but I am not sure about this, as it would require a huge storage space and processing power, not to mention that searching the whole TM database each time someone wants a translation would make the process increasingly slow).

Also, TMs are valuable assets and the result of our work and the clients' investment. Thus, no one would want to make them available for free.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:20
English
There are resources you can use though Dec 25, 2011

Hi,

You mention Trados... if you just started studying I'll assume you are using a modern version, so SDL Trados Studio and not Workbench. In this case you have a few options based on your comments around Google.

You can use Google Translate in Studio and save the translations from Google to your own Translation Memory. In fact you can also use BeGlobal, SDL ETS or MyMemory and achieve similar results.

Depending on your language pairs there are also resources on the internet that are freely available to get you started. For example:

http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html

I think in general this is a tool is for translators who do the translation themselves and then over time build up their own Translation Memory with the knowledge that its contents are solid reference material because they have approved each segment in it, even if the original translation was offerred from someone elses TM or from an MT system. But you are of course free to use it however you wish.

Regards

Paul

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:20
Italian to English
+ ...
Paul's point is highly valid Dec 26, 2011

about creating the TM yourself with terms you have approved and know to be correct and appropriate for the subject you are translating.
This is also related to the problem you may encounter when sharing TMs with other translators (perhaps with jobs given to you through an agency). If a previous translator has translated a term, you may not agree with it - perhaps because the context has changed or the original translator was not aware of the correct idiom to be used for the specific technical context.

If you're using an older version of Trados, one solution might be to machine translate the source then align the two texts to create a TM, but to have a valuable TM you will them have to go through each segment and amend the translations accordingly.

HTH

Vladislav Kasyan
Local time: 08:20
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Export TM from Google to TRADOS Dec 26, 2011

Thanks you all for the answers...

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

You mention Trados... if you just started studying I'll assume you are using a modern version, so SDL Trados Studio and not Workbench. In this case you have a few options based on your comments around Google.

You can use Google Translate in Studio and save the translations from Google to your own Translation Memory. In fact you can also use BeGlobal, SDL ETS or MyMemory and achieve similar results.

Depending on your language pairs there are also resources on the internet that are freely available to get you started. For example:

http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html

I think in general this is a tool is for translators who do the translation themselves and then over time build up their own Translation Memory with the knowledge that its contents are solid reference material because they have approved each segment in it, even if the original translation was offerred from someone elses TM or from an MT system. But you are of course free to use it however you wish.

Regards

Paul

So, as I understand I can use Google TT and make there my personal (NOT COMMON) translation memory and after upload it in TRADOS. Is it really possible? Can you describe a little bit more about it or send me link. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Basic Translation Memory for TRADOS

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search