Failed to save target content in Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: David Turnbull
David Turnbull  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:09
Russian to English
Dec 26, 2011

... Object reference not set to an instance or object..
Could someone remind me what this means and how to resolve it? It's an Excel file

Direct link Reply with quote

Albert Golub  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:09
English to French
not sure if helpful Dec 26, 2011

3. When cleaning up an Excel or PowerPoint file translated in TagEditor, the error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" is displayed

Find the original Excel/PowerPoint file and copy it into the same directory as the bilingual *.ttx file, then re-try the Clean Up operation in Translator's Workbench.

http://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=6819.0

Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Studio and clean up Dec 27, 2011

Thanks, Albert. I don't think it applies to Trados Studio 2009, because you don't actually clean up files, you have a bilingual .sdlxliff file, and when you "save as target", it is converted back to the original format as a new file. The only trouble is that there seem to be lots of reasons for it not to do it!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Getting the target file Dec 27, 2011

Hi,

You could try this. Use Open Document for the source file and create a new sdlxliff. Immediately try and save the target without any translation or TM involved. If you get the same error message then send me (if it's ok) the source file and your translated sdlxliff.

If you can save it then there is probably something in the translation that needs resolving. So, open the sdlxliff and press F8 to QA check. Fix any errors that are reported and try again. If you still get the same problem or there are no error messages when you run the QA check, then send me the source file and the translated sdlxliff.

I'm happy to take a look.

Regards

Paul

Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
tried new file Dec 27, 2011

Paul,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I opened a new sdlxliff file and disabled TM's. The same result.

I would be very happy for you to have a look at the file. I haven't finished the translation yet but can send you the part-translated file.

I was wondering if the failure to save target was anything to do with untranslated segments. I seem to remember something similar with Powerpoint.

I always "test-save" my translations after just starting them to avoid having this problem when the translation is completed and I'm up against a deadline.

How do I send you the files?

United Kingdom
English
By email Dec 27, 2011

Hi David,

If they are not too large (less than 10mB) then email them, otherwise drop me an email and I'll give you an ftp address.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Martin König  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
The same with me Mar 21, 2012

The same thing occured to me while trying to save a partial translation in original format; I keep getting the message: "Failed to save target content: object reference not set to an instance of an object".

As I have nothing to loose, except of the Friday morning deadline, may I beg
for your help, please?

I have tried following:
To save The Excel 2007 file as a normal Excel file
To save it as ttx
To rename, to... Simply said I did anything occured to me plus those things you sugested to David.

While saving as ttx I got this message: Connection with server application error: Exception from HRESULT: 0×800A01A8.

Thats all I know, but I will be very grateful if you'll enlighten me a little at least.

Thank you for your reply.

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:09
English to Dutch
+ ...
Object reference not set to an instance of an object - Could not save target file in SDL Studio May 17, 2012

It must be something to do Studio being unable to handle Excel files. So far nothing worked. Target file can not be made.

Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Studio Excel problem solved May 17, 2012

In my case the problem was solved by updating Studio. My Studio 2009 was giving this problem but installing the free updates including SP3 solved it

United Kingdom
English
If you want to share... May 17, 2012

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

It must be something to do Studio being unable to handle Excel files. So far nothing worked. Target file can not be made.

... the orignal excel file and your translated sdlxliff file I'll be happy to take a look at it for you?

Regards

Paul

Yerbol Iztleuov
Kazakhstan
Local time: 18:09
English to Kazakh
+ ...
Save target as May 23, 2012

I solved this problem by creating a new Excel file and copy-pasting the content into a newly created Excel file from the problematic Excel file. Then I pretranslated from the updated Studio TM and saved as a target.

JoelD  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:09
Japanese to English
Try converting XLS formats Jan 22, 2013

I have solved this issue in the past by converting the XLS (03) source to XLSX (07), then saving the translated 07 file as a Excel 03 file before delivery.

It is not a perfect solution, and my standard policy is not to alter the client's source format, but it usually works.

FWIW

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Failed to save target content in Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search