Trados Studio 2009 - Importing a file into a blank TM
Thread poster: Annett Hieber

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:59
English to German
Dec 26, 2011

Hi all,

I hope you have all enjoyed a nice X-mas!

I am just starting a new translation project using Trados Studio 2009. I was instructed to import a file named "Name.docx.ttx_en-GB_de-DE.sdlxliff" into a blank TM and use it as reference. So I created a new TM and choose File Import Data into TM. I got the message: Read 57 Imported 0 Errors 0. What does this mean? The TM is still blank. What did I do wrong here?

Can anybody help?

Thanks a lot!

Annett

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:59
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Import failure based on conditions Dec 26, 2011

TM import generally fails with non-matched conditions e.g. different language pairs, dialects, filtering expressions, file format mismatch etc.
Soonthon Lupkitaro

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Importing sdlxliff Dec 26, 2011

Hi Annett,

Generally even if you import an sdlxliff with incorrect langauge pairs it can still be brought in, so I don't think this is the problem. Have you checked the sdlxliff to make sure it is all populated with source and target? It would not be the first time the sdlxliff was taken from the source folder of a project where there is no translation in it

I'd be happy to take a look at it if it's ok to share it?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot.... Dec 27, 2011

for your help to both of you! - I have now simply created a new TM and repeated the import - and it worked! I don't know why, but is seems I must have done something wrong the first time.....

However, I would be glad if I can come back to your offer with your help, because I'm sure there will be more (basic) problems.

I am wondering, for example, what to do when I have finished a document. At the beginning I have created a project, because I have 12 ttx-files and the reference (which I had to import into the blank TM). I have now finished the first document and simply saved it. I will now go on with the next document. I am wondering, if I have to save the individual documents immediately (and individually) as ttx-files. Or do I do that at the end, before exporting the complete project? And, if I save it immediately as ttx-file, can I then possibly make there any changes (after translating the other documents, for example)?

Thank you very much for your help once more!

Annett

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Working with Projects Dec 27, 2011

Hi Annett,

The choice is yours. You can wait until the end and use the generate target files batch task to create the finished TTX files, or you can do then one at a time whenever you like, you can even do them in groups to suit you.

If your client had sent you a package and this was used to create the Project then you can do the same thing, or create return packages to suit the files that you had completed already.

In any of these cases you can always go back to any one of the files in the Project and make further changes. I would advise you not to finalize the project though. If you do this it will close the Project to prevent changes being made in error to a finished project. You can revert to sdlxliff to make them editable again, but there seems little point in doing this until you have had 100% sign off from your client.

So I would just create the targets as needed to suit the demands of your client.

Regards

Paul

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Dec 27, 2011

Thank you very much for the information! I will follow your advice.

Annett

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 - Importing a file into a blank TM

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search