Edimilson Ferreira  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:52
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 28, 2011

Hello!

I acquired a Trados 2009 license last year. The software was installed in my notebook. Last month the notebook crashed in such a way that it can't be fixed. Then I installed the Trados software in my new notebook. The licensing procedure did not work. It seems I'd first need to deactivate my licence on my old notebook. I got in touch with SDL support twice before I got a reply. An email was sent to me, in which a representative from SDL requested some information. I provided the information requested and have been waiting for over a week for a solution. Two emails to the same representative have simply been ignored.

If I knew support would be so bad, I would never have paid for this software.

Edimilson
edimilsonferreira@gmail.com

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I had exactly the same experience. Dec 28, 2011

A laptop with Trados installed crashed without hope, therefore the license on the machine could not be returned. Attempts to reinstall on a new machine failed because of the lack of a viable license.
Contacting Trados and explaining the situation finshed with them sending me a declaration to complete and send to them so that they could investigate and provide me with a new activation code. I am still waiting for this almost 2 years later!! I had another license for another machine and I was able to continue workling.

I appreciate that since this situation happened to you just now and we are in the middle of the holiday period, things may be a little delayed. But I would definitely recommend you hassle them every day until they resend you a new code.

On a general note; I appreciate that businesses have to protect their assets, and software licensing is probably better than using a hardware dongle, but hard disk crashes, theft etc. are not inconceivable events, and there has to be a practical way of recovering the considerable amount of money we are asked to invest to purchase Trados for our small businesses. Otherwise the future is to only work with clients who use Idiom/Across etc.

Seasons Greetings and fingers firmly crossed for all Trados users.

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Unusual Dec 28, 2011

That has not been my experience with Trados at all, and I had a similar problem just a couple of months ago. I got the needed help in a day or two, so it could be that there are just too few support staff working over Christmas. Have you tried calling their hotline? (Not sure they have one, though.)

I found this page: http://www.translationzone.com/en/Contact/default.asp
and saw there was a possibility for a live support chat there, have you tried that?
You might also want to try their Facebook page. Obviously they would not like to have negative comments in public places, so it would be in their interest to help you asap.

[Edited at 2011-12-28 09:48 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Check your account Dec 28, 2011

Alexander Chisholm wrote:
I am still waiting for this almost 2 years later!!

Well Happy Xmas..! I just checked your account and it looks to me as though they are all there:

I could probably check the date this was done if you like... but my guess is that some communication went amiss many many months/years ago and you have not looked in your account ever since.

Regards

Paul

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Edimilson Dec 28, 2011

First of all, I would like to say that publishing your email address is not a good idea as it will be captured by bots and you will start receiving tons of spam. This is up to you, however.

What about your situation.

Here is what you should do:
If you are experiencing a licensing or installation problem then please visit our solution finder which is designed to help users fix their problems. We urge you to follow the solution finder step by step and, if your problem is not resolved, you will be given a support form to fill out. The support form will then be sent to our support team, who will get back to you as soon as possible.

To visit the solution finder please follow these instructions:

1. Please visit: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/default.asp

2. Login with your username and password

3. Go to "My Support"

4. Select "Licensing and Installation Help"

5. Read the instructions and then select the "Solution finder direct link"

6. Select the "Licensing Problems" link in the left hand navigation pane

7. Answer the questions accordingly

Again, you will be given a support form to fill out if you don't find a solution.

This procedure is described in the knowledgebase and in several postings at this forum, e.g. here: http://www.proz.com/post/1255351#1255351
http://tur.proz.com/post/1255571#1255571
http://tur.proz.com/post/1255583#1255583

I myself experienced a disk crash about a year ago, and this procedure worked as a clockwork, my license was revived within a few hours.

Natalia

Germany
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem still unsolved Dec 28, 2011

Unless I've misunderstood something, there's a problem here: I don't really need a new code for Trados 2007, which I rarely use. What I really need is to be able to use Trados 2009 again. So, unless I misunderstood something, the problem remais unsolved.

And no, no one informed me changes had been made to may Trados 2007 licence.

United Kingdom
English
SDL Representative Dec 28, 2011

Edimilson Ferreira wrote:

Hello!

I acquired a Trados 2009 license last year. The software was installed in my notebook. Last month the notebook crashed in such a way that it can't be fixed. Then I installed the Trados software in my new notebook. The licensing procedure did not work. It seems I'd first need to deactivate my licence on my old notebook. I got in touch with SDL support twice before I got a reply. An email was sent to me, in which a representative from SDL requested some information. I provided the information requested and have been waiting for over a week for a solution. Two emails to the same representative have simply been ignored.

If I knew support would be so bad, I would never have paid for this software.

Edimilson
edimilsonferreira@gmail.com

Hi Edimilson,

We have taken a look in our support system and have no record of you submitting a case at all so until we read this we had no idea you were waiting at all..! Can you confirm how you contacted SDL? Feel free to drop me an email if you like?

The way to raise a case is either through the support portal if you have support, or using the solution finder if you don't. Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- I have lost one of my license activations.

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day.

In the meantime we will raise a case on your behalf so that the appropriate licensing team can look at this for you.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Germany
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Confusion and disappointment Dec 28, 2011

You first got in touch to mention that my problem had apparently already been solved. I questioned that, at the same time admitting I might have misunderstood something. In your reply, you failed to clarify this issue.

You may have no record of a case having been submitted, but another representative, called Rose Murta, replied to my messages with an email requiring some information. Another representative (Caroline Tezzei), by the way, has just informed me that Rose will be back next week and will get in touch to help me. I do hope she returns. If she does not, I suppose my problem will never be solved by them, right?

Finally, you explained how I should proceed to submit a case, but in the end you said a case will be submitted by you on my behalf in the meantime.

This is simply too confusing and disappointing. Using this public forum has proven much more efficient.

United Kingdom
English
Apologies for this confusion then... Dec 28, 2011

Dear Edimilson

But I would have to advise you that I'm pretty certain we have no such people employed by SDL at all so perhaps you are referring to a reseller somewhere? Certainly I don't know who these people are.

I hope in the future if you find the need to recover a license because you didn't return it before moving machines or rebuilding that using the KB will be reasonably straightforward.

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- I have lost one of my license activations.

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day.

Kind regards

Paul

Germany
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As I explained many times already... Dec 28, 2011

As I explained many times already, my notebook crashed and the information it contained, including my license, can't be recovered.

As to the representatives you don't know, they got in touch with me after I sent SLD an email using the form found on this page http://www.sdl.com/en/about-us/contact.asp.

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Confusion? Dec 28, 2011

The confusion is being caused by the first reply from Paul/SDL Support, which was not in response to you but to Alexander Chisholm, who posted the comment after you. The screen shot is from Alexander's Trados account, not yours.

Try Natalie's instructions, as it seems the representative you contacted was not in a position to help (was it a local one?), didn't submit your request to the system and then took off 2 weeks for Christmas without getting back to you. I used the Solution Finder recently to recover a lost license (due to a computer crash) and the problem was solved pretty fast. That is the most efficient way to get your situation fixed, so it's best to take that approach, and then write a complaint to SDL about the people (both the first and the second one, as well) who left you hanging! That's not how customers of an expensive product should be treated. Paul/SDL Support is trying to figure out why your problem was not passed on to the right department and in addition to you filing a report via Solution Finder, he will work from the inside to make sure your license is restored and the problem solved as quickly as possible.

Hope this clarifies your confusion.

Good luck.

Added on edit: Paul has since replied again, so follow his instructions. As I suspected, the person you contacted first was probably not the right one. Your second instance of confusion is that SDL can restore the lost license, so don't worry about that. You don't have to do anything except report the problem, because the fact that you bought the product is in their records. You don't seem to get that part of it, so I hope my explanation helped.

[Edited at 2011-12-28 12:28 GMT]

Germany
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Support problems Dec 28, 2011

Thank you, Woodstock, for your message. Someone from SDL has just sent me an email saying my license has been reset and that it should be possible to reactivate it after 30 minutes. I'll have to wait and see. So far this situation has been very frustrating.

United Kingdom
English
Just an update Dec 28, 2011

Hi,

I now know who at least one of these contacts is. It seems the contact form you filled in has been sent to one of our resellers. I'm not sure why as you seem to be based in Germany, but notwithstanding this we need to filter out the incorrect use of this contact form and ensure that requests like yours are sent to the right place to be handled.

We will look at this and hopefully prevent anyone else having the same problems you did.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Serious problems with Trados support

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search