Why are Studio 2011 formatting buttons grayed out?
Thread poster: Maria Helena Brenner-Kelly

Maria Helena Brenner-Kelly
United States
Local time: 22:29
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
Dec 28, 2011

Hello.

I am working on a website´s localization. It was sent to me as a Trados 2011 package; the original files were xml.

For some reason, whenever I am working on files of this package, the editor´s formatting buttons (italics, bold, etc.) are all grayed out. They work fine with other source files.

I am trying to find out why they are grayed out. Is it about some setting the package creator used? I asked him and, if he did, he was not aware of it...

My next question is: if I include html tags like in the target segments, are they going to be a problem down the road?

Thanks,

Maria

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:29
English
the files are xml Dec 28, 2011

Hi Maria,

If the files are xml then any formatting is either controlled by xml tags, in which case you should see these in the source and you need to place them into the target, or by embedded html which may or may not have been handled correctly depending on how the xml filter was set up.

Either way you won't be able to use bold symbols or italics as you would for a word document; you should also not place html equivalents in the target segments unless they are in the source (not handled as embedded html) or you might cause a problem for the target xml file when the customer tries to use it.

Is the source formatted? If so and you can't see the tags try pressing ctrl+h which may reveal the formatting tags. If they are external then use the display filter to Show All Content and you'll see them outside the segment in which case you just type in the target and the external formatting will be carried through.

Regards

Paul

United States
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
the source is not formatted Dec 28, 2011

Hi, Paul.

Thanks for the answer. You never fail me

The italics I want to include are not in the source. I am keeping some reasonably well known English acronyms, but want to put the translation in italics the first time they appear.

Any ideas on how I could do that?

Maria

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:29
English
Adding tags in the target not in the source Dec 28, 2011

Hi Maria,

I don't think you can do this safely with xml files. In theory, if you knew what tags they were using for italics, and if the segment you were translating supported the use of these tags in the target when the file was put back into the environment it is intended for, then you could do it by manually typing in the syntax for the tag. However, you would not see the italics in the translation environment... it would only be visible in the final destination (if it was supported).

But that was really a very theoretical and impractical discussion on my part. My real advice to you would be to not do this.

Regards

Paul

United States
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
not safe to add tags in the target not in the source Dec 28, 2011

Hi, Paul.

I will take your advice, then.

Thanks again and happy 2012.

Maria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why are Studio 2011 formatting buttons grayed out?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search