SDL Trados Studio 2009/2011 context menus on Windows 7 64 bits
Thread poster: Uriama de Menezes

Uriama de Menezes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 6, 2012

Here at the company I work, it has been decided that all new computers are to be bought with Windows 7 64 bits pre-installed. The problem is that some people here at the translation department rely heavily on the windows context menu to open a document directly for translation and it seems Windows 7 64 cannot handle the .dll required for having such context menu. So, my question is: has anyone managed to have the context menu work on 64-bit systems? How?

I have already tried the workaround provided by Microsoft, but it does not seem to work for this particular case. I'm not sure if I'm not doing this the right way, though. The workaround involves running the 32-bit version of the Windows Explorer (which is present in the system), but it does not seem to fix the context menu issue. Am I supposed to re-install Trados Studio with the 32-bit version of the Windows Explorer running? Is there a way of making the system always run the 32-bit version (obviously, without replacing the version of the whole system)?

We are currently using the 2009 version, but soon it will be replaced by the 2011 version. From a brief search on SDL's support pages, I gather 2011 suffers from the same issue. Can anyone confirm it? If it really does suffer from the issue, its past time they make a fully 64-bit compatible version.

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:50
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Open files within Studio Jan 6, 2012

I use Windows 7 64 bit and Studio 2011 (and 2009 beforehand) and haven't encountered the problems you describe. You should always open files from within Studio. That way you can do it from a project, a single document, open for revision/translation, etc.
IMO I think you should be looking at changing the way you open your files rather than looking to change Windows Explorer versions.

arterm  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:50
Member (2002)
English to Russian
the issue really exists Jul 17, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I use Windows 7 64 bit and Studio 2011 (and 2009 beforehand) and haven't encountered the problems you describe. You should always open files from within Studio. That way you can do it from a project, a single document, open for revision/translation, etc.
IMO I think you should be looking at changing the way you open your files rather than looking to change Windows Explorer versions.

Hi Emma!

I have to note that Uriama is absolutely right here.
SDL Studio 2009 does not provide Explorer context menus in Windows 64-bit, while it provides Explorer context menus in Windows 32-bit.

This is a serious flaw but I do not think it can be solved: SDL Studio 2009 is a 32-bit application and just runs kind of encapsulated within Windows 64-bit. Hence no context menus.

Indeed you can still open files from within SDL Studio itself but this is not as efficient as right-clicking a file in Explorer and sending it right for translation. I enjoyed these context menus in my Windows 32-bit and I miss them very much in my Windows 64-bit.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009/2011 context menus on Windows 7 64 bits

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search