Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:49
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 8, 2012

Is there a way to edit the text of tags in Trados Studio 2011?

In the file I am working on, the text that appears in the header and footer of the Word document comes up as tags (in purple) in Trados (field id="1" value="Text in foreign language", field id="2" value= "Text in foreign language"). Of course, I can edit the text in Word, but is it possible to do this within Trados?

[Edited at 2012-01-08 00:53 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If it appears in tags... Jan 8, 2012

why do you wish to edit it?
Because your source is Word, text in tags appears not by chance - it is somehow by purpose.
Either your customer has blocked that from editing, the text is formatted as hidden or these are some text functions. Are you really expected to translate it?

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tags must be edited Jan 8, 2012

The client does not use Trados, so the tags were not locked intentionally and the text in the tags must be translated since it is the main title page of the document and the text in the header and footer.

What appears to have happened is that in Word, the main title of the document (Example: PROFESSIONAL SERVICES AGREEMENT BETWEEN X AND Y ACCORDING TO C, THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL.) was created as a TITLE FIELD in Word and this same TITLE FIELD was entered into the header (so that when the Title Page is changed, the Header would automatically change).

I can translate this text in Word by typing over the text or by right clicking on the title and selecting EDIT FIELD and entering the translation. I can then go to the header, right click again and select UPDATE FIELD. The same is true for the footer.

However, these fields appear as tags in Trados and cannot be edited.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Fields are not editable in Studio Jan 8, 2012

And this is true for Word as well as for Framemaker or other software using this technology.
If fields content is coming from document properties, so you can open those for translation in File types by a corresponding setting.
When a field is used in Word, the autor does do that by purpose to ensue the content of the field is exactly the same as the text written elsewhere.
So you indeed will have to update the fields in Word, as there is no way of translating such content in Studio. I agree, that it would be better to have the access to the content of the fields in Studio, but for the time being the field content is not translatable.

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to edit tags in Trados Studio 2011 Jan 8, 2012

Thanks Jerzy!

At least I know the problem is not me.

Alonso Santamaria
Mexico
Local time: 01:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same question May 7

I would also like to change the text in the Tag.

It is a simple case, it is a reference to a Figure and it says Figura 1 (Spanish) I need that my translation into English says Figure 1. And once I save the file as translated, I can certainly change the text in Word and the reference stays.

Of course I could change all those references in the original document or in the translated document in Word, but it is a 108 page report and has lots of figures. It will be time consuming.

I hope there is an answer to this.

Thanks!

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Find and Replace May 7

Wow. I honestly don't remember writing this post.

At any rate, why not just use FIND and REPLACE in final Word Document. FIND Figura and replace with Figure...

Alonso Santamaria wrote:

I would also like to change the text in the Tag.

It is a simple case, it is a reference to a Figure and it says Figura 1 (Spanish) I need that my translation into English says Figure 1. And once I save the file as translated, I can certainly change the text in Word and the reference stays.

Of course I could change all those references in the original document or in the translated document in Word, but it is a 108 page report and has lots of figures. It will be time consuming.

I hope there is an answer to this.

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to edit tags in Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search