https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/215770-memoq_to_trados_studio_2009_or_2011.html

MemoQ to Trados Studio 2009 or 2011
Thread poster: gfichter
gfichter
gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:09
English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2012

This was supposed to be easy...

I received a project from a translator who used memoQ, and I need to import the translations into a Trados Studio 2011 or 2009 project. I figure 2009 would be easier.

The memoQ files came back in memoQ format, of course, and I exported them as bilingual XLIFF files with names like "foo_es_ES.xml_20625_spa-ES.xlf".

The files in Trados Studio 2009 have names like "foo_es_ES.xml_20625.xlf.sdlxliff"

How do I get tho
... See more

I received a project from a translator who used memoQ, and I need to import the translations into a Trados Studio 2011 or 2009 project. I figure 2009 would be easier.

The memoQ files came back in memoQ format, of course, and I exported them as bilingual XLIFF files with names like "foo_es_ES.xml_20625_spa-ES.xlf".

The files in Trados Studio 2009 have names like "foo_es_ES.xml_20625.xlf.sdlxliff"

How do I get those files into Trados? I am actually running Trados Studio 2011, but I have created a Trados Studio 2009 project for this purpose. Any solution that gets those translations into either type of Trados project would be wonderful!

Thanks,

George
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:09
Finnish to French
A translated memoQ XLF should open fine in Studio 2009 Jan 11, 2012

gfichter wrote:

As far as I can see, a translated memoQ document exported as XLF should open just fine in Studio 2009. Here is an example: http://screencast.com/t/NbifgAUlLqId
The original document was a DOCX, but the same method should work with any format.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:09
English
Not sure I fully understand the question Jan 11, 2012

gfichter wrote:

How do I get those files into Trados? I am actually running Trados Studio 2011, but I have created a Trados Studio 2009 project for this purpose. Any solution that gets those translations into either type of Trados project would be wonderful!

Thanks,

George

Hello George,

I'm not sure why you are using 2009 when you have 2011 for this... it's no different for this task. However, I'm more interested in your workflow.

You state the names of the sdlxliff files so this suggests you have already put them into Studio. You then ask how to get them into Trados. Do you want to translate these with SDL Trados 2007? I'm not very sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Regards

Paul

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
For Trados Workbench: export as "Trados compatible bilingual DOC" Jan 11, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
You state the names of the sdlxliff files so this suggests you have already put them into Studio. You then ask how to get them into Trados. Do you want to translate these with SDL Trados 2007? I'm not very sure I understand what you are trying to do.

If George is looking to bring the translated memoQ document into Trados Workbench (2007), the easiest way would be to export it as "Trados compatible bilingual DOC" in memoQ. Then it can be used to update a Trados Workbench TM without having to use Studio 2009/2011 at all: it's just a matter of cleaning the document against the desired TM in TWB.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
XLIFF in Trados 2007... Jan 11, 2012

gfichter wrote:

Basically S2011 is S2009 as it should be released 30 months ago, so If you have S2011, it makes no sense to revert to S2009.

Dominique Pivard wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

If George is looking to bring the translated memoQ document into Trados Workbench (2007), the easiest way would be to export it as "Trados compatible bilingual DOC" in memoQ.

Yep, exactly.
The XLIFF workflow is a nonsense for Trados 2007, it's the most stupd XLIFF implementation in the universe which will be unusable for most bilingual XLF files exported from memoQ.
The legacy Trados is unable to make the distinction between the (pre)tlanslated text and the source which causes a bloody mess.

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Bilingual memoQ... file name change... Jan 11, 2012

gfichter wrote:

I suppose the translator sent you so called "bilingual export file" which makes no sense in your case.
You should ask the normal exported file (with sdlxliff extension).

BTW, tell him also to strip the _spa-ES part in the file names which seem to be appended by memoQ automatically because he used incorrect path/name settings in memoQ.

Cheers
GG

gfichter
gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:09
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - now I know which question to ask... Jan 11, 2012

Thanks very much for the inputs. I think I stated the problem very badly, and I'm sorry for the confusion.

It is true that I can open the memoQ files in Trados 2011, as long as I save them as .xlf format.

I just discovered that I can convert a file from memoQ's .xlf format to .sdlxliff format by doing a"Save copy as" within TS2011, and select "SDL_XLIFF Document (*.sdlxliff)". This solves most of my problems.

The only remaining problem with this method is
... See more
Thanks very much for the inputs. I think I stated the problem very badly, and I'm sorry for the confusion.

It is true that I can open the memoQ files in Trados 2011, as long as I save them as .xlf format.

I just discovered that I can convert a file from memoQ's .xlf format to .sdlxliff format by doing a"Save copy as" within TS2011, and select "SDL_XLIFF Document (*.sdlxliff)". This solves most of my problems.

The only remaining problem with this method is that there over 300 files, and I don't know a way to "save-as" the whole lot in one step.

Is there a way to automate or simplify that step when multiple files are involved?

That's the end of my question. The rest is explanation for some of the perceived (and actual) craziness in my initial post:
1. I need to downgrade the project to TS2009 in order to import it into memoQ. I believe this is what Kilgray specifies.
2. My overall problem is that I need to create a return package in WorldServer format, but I can't do that directly since I don't have the server version of Trados. I have Trados Studio 2011 Pro. The only way I can update the WorldServer project with these translations is by copying .sdlxliff files from the TS 2009 project into the WorldServer project, using the OS.
3. The memoQ exported bilingual files are in .xlf format, and I need to convert them to .sdlxliff, but I now know how to do that. Only problem is the 300 files.

Thanks again to all for your comments!
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Multiple memoQ documents - single XLF Jan 11, 2012

gfichter wrote:
3. The memoQ exported bilingual files are in .xlf format, and I need to convert them to .sdlxliff, but I now know how to do that. Only problem is the 300 files.

I don't know how that would fit your overall workflow, but memoQ can create a single XLIFF file from multiple documents: just tick 'Include multiple documents in a single XLIFF file'.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Easier than you might think... Jan 12, 2012

gfichter wrote:

The only remaining problem with this method is that there over 300 files, and I don't know a way to "save-as" the whole lot in one step.

Is there a way to automate or simplify that step when multiple files are involved?

Hi,

If you add all the memoQ xlf files to a Studio Project then they are all converted to sdlxliff already. Studio doesn't work in a database, it works on the sdlxliff files themselves. If you right click on the Project in Project View and then choose Open Project Folder you will find folders for each language you have set up. Open the folder for the target language you are working in and in here you will find the sdlxliff files for all 300 files.

On your other questions:

1. I need to downgrade the project to TS2009 in order to import it into memoQ. I believe this is what Kilgray specifies.

No you don't. Maybe the Kilgray documentation you have received is out of date but the sdlxliff files are the same for 2009 as they are for 2011. Certainly I have had no issues opening these files in memoQ (except for the mapping of match values, statuses etc. that always been missing)

2. My overall problem is that I need to create a return package in WorldServer format, but I can't do that directly since I don't have the server version of Trados. I have Trados Studio 2011 Pro. The only way I can update the WorldServer project with these translations is by copying .sdlxliff files from the TS 2009 project into the WorldServer project, using the OS.

Now I am confused. If you have been given a *.wsxz package then all you do is open thi in Studio 2011 and once you have finished translating it you can create a return package that will be a return package for WorldServer. You do not require a server version of Trados for this, you only need to have the package which can be emailed, you can download it from WorldServer or someone coould stick it on an ftp for you.

It sounds as though the problem you are having is because you are trying to do too much CAT hopping where it is is not necessary. If your client has sent you memoQ files then it sounds as though they are using memoQ to handle the WorldServer files. This is fine (well, not really but people do it). But in this instance they should create the return package and not you. All they do is send you the 300 xlf files, you translate in whatever you like, you send the xlf files back and your client creates the return package. Otherwise ask them for the *.wsxz package in the first place and then you can create it.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ to Trados Studio 2009 or 2011

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »