DPS
Australia
Local time: 17:26
German to English
+ ...
Jan 14, 2012

Helly everyone,

In my decade-long struggle with SDL/Trados I am facing a new challenge:

I am in the process of setting up a new PC (Windows 7, Office 2010, 64 bit).
I understand that Trados 2007 is not compatible, so am about to upgrade to Studio 2011. Wise or not, I do not seem to have an option.

Anyhow, I was instructed that in order to prepare for the upgrade, I need to install Trados 8 first. Have done just that now, with the result that whenever I start the PC or subsequently try to open any of the programs, an error message pops up:
"SDL Trados Synergy has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

Any yes, I spent a ferw extra happy hours un- and reinstalling the lot. No luck second time round either. It's never particularly helpful to be notified that there is 'a' problem.
Am worried now that if I upgrade, I will cause a total mess.

Has anyone had the same problem and possibly knows a solution?

Wished I had just kept the old PC...

Cheers,
Petra

Direct link Reply with quote

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:26
Danish to English
+ ...
Incompatibility Jan 14, 2012

Windows 7 needs completely new install. Upgrades will go for XP. You cannot install the old programs on the new format in 7. That means of course that you have to pay more.

I didn't intall my Trados on W7, so whenever I need to use Trados, I use my old computer.

I talked with an IT professional, who told me that Windows 7 would crash if there is an old program installed that 7 is not compatible with.

When you want to install a program on W7, you need to be sure it is compatible with W7. Contact the program vendor's web site to see if the program is made for W7.

Blangsted

Witold Lekawa  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:26
Member (2008)
French to Polish
+ ...
I have the same problem. Jan 14, 2012

In order to work in Windows 7, you must install newer versions of Trados:
upgrading to Studio 2009 0r 2011.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:26
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Windows 7, Office 2007, Trados 2007 Suite Build 863 Jan 15, 2012

That is my combination and I've never had a problem. In fact, this Trados 2007 is the second copy of the program to which I was entitled; the first copy is installed on my other computer, with Windows XP and Office 2003. I purchased Studio 2009, but never installed it, waiting for all the wrinkles to be ironed; now they are already on Studio 2011 but, frankly, I don't feel like following suit.

The problem might be Office 2010, although some colleagues swear it works for them.

Fernando Domeniconi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Worked with W7... May 26, 2012

But I started to have this problem once I installed Office 2010.

One of the solutions I found online (not a fix, just a way of working around this) is starting either the Workbench or Tag Editor using All Programs>SDL International, etc. The workbench opens with no error message.

Hope it helps some.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Synergy stopoped working" - trying to install Trados 2007 on Windows 7 PC

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search