Floating licence Trados 2009 (FlexNet) versus Trados 2011 (Nalpeiron)
Thread poster: stevenson2
Jan 26, 2012

We made an upgrade from "Trados Studio 2009 Professional (Floating)" to "Trados Studio 2011 Professional (Network)". Unfortunatelly we have a problemme with new licencing server in Trados 2011:
_____

1) Is it possible to use licencing server from Trados 2011 over VPN or over public IP address, the same way how it was possible to use it in Trados 2009?
We implemented Trados 2009 in a way that we could work inside or outside (over VPN) the company network. But now in Trados 2011 we couldn't use it the same way like in Trados 2009. Because we cannot run Trados 2011 via VPN. Trados 2011 could not find licensing server over VPN. But Trados 2009 works fine over the same VPN.

Using the Trados Studio 2011 client through remote desktop connection (RDP) is not a solution for us, because RDP protocol is not possible to use on slow internet connection contrary to VPN protocol.
Are company network is in network range 10.10.1.x and VPN network is in range 10.10.3.x.

Notes from testing:
I've switched off all firewalls (either on client and on licencing server)
I've tested response on computer, where the licencing server (with DNS name "trados") is running with command "ping trados". It was OK, around 10 ms.
I've tested if on the computer, where the licencing server is running, the port 137 and 138 are open.
I red next articles:
http://kb.sdl.com/articleRedirect.aspx?aid=3918 - explains how to install and configure the license server
http://kb.sdl.com/articleRedirect.aspx?aid=3928 - explains how to configure the client machines to connect to the
_____

2) Is it possible to find out which user is now using the licence in Trados 2011? If yes, do you know how?
In Trados 2009 and licencing server FlexNet it was possible to find it out via "lmutil.exe" by:
"lmutil.exe lmstat -a -c 27000@server_name"
Thanks to this function, every employee of our company, could find out who is currently using licence for Trados 2009 and eventually agree with him on its use.
_____

3) If the client Trados 2011 does not return upon its termination licence to licencing server (for example due to network error), is it possible for server side to return it somehow?
In Trados 2009 sometimes it also happens, but in that case it was possible to reset the "SDL FLEXlm licence server" service and automaticly return the licence.
Now in Trados 2011 if it happen, I have to write email to all users of Trados 2011 and ask them to run and terminate their Trados 2011 client, because I don't know who borrowed the licence (see point 2).
The biggest problem is, when that person with his laptop is on the business trip, then we have to wait on his return, because is not possible to return the license via VPN (see point 1).
_____

From my perspective, the only advantage of the new license server Nalpeiron (Trados 2011) is easy to install, but its functionality unfortunately can not be compared with the previous license server FlexNet (Trados 2009).
The main source of problems I can see is mainly in the fact that Nalpeiron (Trados 2011) uses for communication between server and client quite old "MailSlot protocol" (part of Samba), which has in practice, unfortunately, quite a limited and it is still dependent on the Windows, which in case of problems with installation of the license server can be nearly insoluble problem, with the only possibility - full Windows reinstall.
While FlexNet (Trados 2009) uses its own communication protocol between the client and server, which has no practical limitations and more functionality.

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:27
French to Polish
+ ...
Track 0 Jan 26, 2012

stevenson2 wrote:

From my perspective, the only advantage of the new license server Nalpeiron (Trados 2011) is easy to install, but its functionality unfortunately can not be compared with the previous license server FlexNet (Trados 2009).

Fully seconded...

The main source of problems I can see is mainly in the fact that Nalpeiron (Trados 2011) uses for communication between server and client quite old "MailSlot protocol" (part of Samba), which has in practice, unfortunately, quite a limited and it is still dependent on the Windows, which in case of problems with installation of the license server can be nearly insoluble problem, with the only possibility - full Windows reinstall.

You're wrong.
It's worse.
It seems you need to wipe out the track 0 using a disk editor.
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/213643-trados_studio_2011_installation_problem_service_nalperion_licensing_service_nlsx86cc.html

Cheers
GG

SoPolTrad  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:27
Member (2004)
German to Hungarian
+ ...
It works by PPTP (Host-LAN) with open "Multicast over VPN". Jan 11, 2013

stevenson2 wrote:

1) Is it possible to use licencing server from Trados 2011 over VPN...

People can connect to our office network (router) via VPN as PPTP clients. We use License Server Toolkit 1.3 to network licence.

Did you find solution for this problem?

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Floating licence Trados 2009 (FlexNet) versus Trados 2011 (Nalpeiron)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search