DS1410D Service control manager error
Thread poster: Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Jun 3, 2004

I've a big problem using Trados freelance 6.5.2.417 and Office XP:
during an internet connection Win XP hangs up due to a DS1410D Service Control Manager error
Any ideas ?
thanks

Claudio

On internet I've found this possible exlplanation but I don't know if it's relevant: FlexLM may use two mechanisims to lock a software: the Ethernet address, as
all AutoCAD network users know, or a dongle. If a software publisher chooses
to go with the dong
... See more
I've a big problem using Trados freelance 6.5.2.417 and Office XP:
during an internet connection Win XP hangs up due to a DS1410D Service Control Manager error
Any ideas ?
thanks

Claudio

On internet I've found this possible exlplanation but I don't know if it's relevant: FlexLM may use two mechanisims to lock a software: the Ethernet address, as
all AutoCAD network users know, or a dongle. If a software publisher chooses
to go with the dongle, then the infamous DS1410D service, implemented in
DS1410D.sys, is needed. For obscure reaseon, the FlexLM installed by
AutoCAD, although it does not need this service, wishes to start it.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:26
English to German
+ ...
Where do you see the connection to Trados? Jun 3, 2004

Hi Claudio,
From your description, I don't quite see how Trados comes into play here. Some Trados products use FlexLM permissioning, but AFAIK this is not available in the current Freelance version - I assume you have a USB dongle?

So where does Trados come into the picture?

Best regards,
Ralf

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Re: DS1410D Service control manager error Jun 3, 2004

I think that is a Trados issue because this problem appears *ONLY* if I'm working with Trados and searching something on internet and *NEVER* if I've a lot of open programs *PLUS* the internet connection!
anyway I've a parallel dongle because my late experiences suggested that USB ports (my PC has only two 1.1 ports) cause a lot of problems and this is the reason I still have an USB modem but have the intention to sold it and also I've sold the USB hub and returned to use a simple USB exte
... See more
I think that is a Trados issue because this problem appears *ONLY* if I'm working with Trados and searching something on internet and *NEVER* if I've a lot of open programs *PLUS* the internet connection!
anyway I've a parallel dongle because my late experiences suggested that USB ports (my PC has only two 1.1 ports) cause a lot of problems and this is the reason I still have an USB modem but have the intention to sold it and also I've sold the USB hub and returned to use a simple USB extension cable ;-(((

I've another couple of ideas: is it possible that Trados 6.5 calls this service due to the new options of searching for a on-line memory?
or
this DS1410D Service control manager, called by dongle softwares, search for an ethernet port that is no more installed (some time ago I've installed a WAN USB modem ?

thanks

Claudio

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Claudio,
From your description, I don't quite see how Trados comes into play here. Some Trados products use FlexLM permissioning, but AFAIK this is not available in the current Freelance version - I assume you have a USB dongle?

So where does Trados come into the picture?

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Registry problem? Jun 3, 2004

Hi Claudio,
I exchanged e-mails with Daniel Brockmann at Trados - here's his response:

...maybe the user can look for this key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DS1410D

and rename it to something else and see if this problem disappears?

We had this problem in some server-based scenarios (and the solution above helped) but never saw this in Freelance installations where we don't install any FLEXlm servers... but maybe still it helps also in this case. I hope this change has no side effects, so it might be best to rename this key only if the user wishes to use the Internet at the same time as using TRADOS 6.5. Then, if everything continues working, he can rename the key permanently.

As with every Registry change, you should backup the data before starting to edit.

HTH, Ralf

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
TOPIC STARTER

thanks
but
I'm always afraid to touch the registry, even after a backup
so it shoul be better use the Service manager, but I don't know the name of the service that coincide to the DS1410D code
Someone know it?
If you don't I'll try the suggestion
(In general I think most users and teachers should teach not to touch the registry and rather use the Service manager or other options managers)

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Claudio,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesDS1410D

We had this problem in some server-based scenarios (and the solution above helped) but never saw this in Freelance installations where we don't install any FLEXlm servers... but maybe still it helps also in this case. I hope this change has no side effects, so it might be best to rename this key only if the user wishes to use the Internet at the same time as using TRADOS 6.5. Then, if everything continues working, he can rename the key permanently.

As with every Registry change, you should backup the data before starting to edit.

HTH, Ralf

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
TOPIC STARTER

mhh... interesting ........
I've just checked the registry
I've a SYSTEM32\drivers\DS1410D.SYS key
but there is no DS1410D.SYS driver in the aforecited directory
so I think here is the problem
thanks to all anyway

Claudio

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Claudio,

HTH, Ralf

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Re: DS1410D Service control manager error - The Return Jun 3, 2004

Ralf Lemster dixit:
we don't install any FLEXlm servers...
so why I have a FLEXLm key in my registry?
perhaps an old version of Trados used it?

I have a picture for your reference if you explain me where to post it

Claudio

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Claudio,

HTH, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-06-03 13:20]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
...screenshot? Jun 3, 2004

Hi Claudio,

No idea - but as you indicated yourself in your initial posting, there are other applications using the same concept.

Not really. AFAIK dongle-free versions (which would necessitate a FLEXlm license key) have only been supported since T6.x, but certainly not the Freelance versions.

Do you mean a screenshot? I'll send you a profile message.

Best regards, Ralf

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
FLEXlm !!! Jun 18, 2004

so Trados says there's no FLEXlm correlated to Trados?
but it's correlated to Multiterm !!!
Today I've installed Trados on my second PC 8the first is died) and this is what I've found in releases note of Multiterm:

Copy Protection (FLEXlm)
MultiTerm Server is copy protected. It uses a softkey mechanism for copy protection. The licence information is stored in a licence file that is used to monitor use of the application and impose any necessary licence restrictions
... See more
Today I've installed Trados on my second PC 8the first is died) and this is what I've found in releases note of Multiterm:

Copy Protection (FLEXlm)
MultiTerm Server is copy protected. It uses a softkey mechanism for copy protection. The licence information is stored in a licence file that is used to monitor use of the application and impose any necessary licence restrictions. The licence file is stored on the TRADOS FLEXlm licence server. If the licence file cannot be found on the licence server, MultiTerm Server will not allow users to access any remote termbases.

HAHAHA'

Claudio

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Claudio,

No idea - but as you indicated yourself in your initial posting, there are other applications using the same concept.

Not really. AFAIK dongle-free versions (which would necessitate a FLEXlm license key) have only been supported since T6.x, but certainly not the Freelance versions.

Do you mean a screenshot? I'll send you a profile message.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
MultiTerm Server vs. MultiTerm Workstation Jun 18, 2004

Claudio,
You need to distinguish between different versions of Trados.

Where did Trados say that?
Daniel stated that FLEXlm is not used with Trados Freelance; Trados Support subsequently confirmed this.

Copy Protection (FLEXlm)
MultiTerm Server is copy protected. It uses a softkey mechanism for copy protection. The licence information is stored in a licence file that is used to monitor use of the application and impose any necessary licence restrictions. The licence file is stored on the TRADOS FLEXlm licence server. If the licence file cannot be found on the licence server, MultiTerm Server will not allow users to access any remote termbases.

So you installed MultiTerm Server on your system? In your original posting, you indicated you had the Freelance version, which includes MultiTerm Workstation.

I suggest you contact Trados Support directly, indicating your precise systems setup and giving them full information regarding any other versions which you may have installed.

I'm afraid I cannot help you any further in this issue.

Regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-06-18 10:48]

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
FLEXlm Jun 18, 2004

Hi
FLEXlm is related both to MultiTerm Server and MultiTerm exchange
that are in the same package of Trados freelance 6.5
anyway I'll follow your suggestion to contact Trados support
thanks

Claudio

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Claudio,
You need to distinguish between different versions of Trados.

Where did Trados say that?
Daniel stated that FLEXlm is not used with Trados Freelance; Trados Support subsequently confirmed this.

Copy Protection (FLEXlm)

So you installed MultiTerm Server on your system? In your original posting, you indicated you had the Freelance version, which includes MultiTerm Workstation.

I suggest you contact Trados Support directly, indicating your precise systems setup and giving them full information regarding any other versions which you may have installed.

I'm afraid I cannot help you any further in this issue.

Regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-06-18 10:48]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DS1410D Service control manager error

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »