Unable to save in Studio 2009 - error message saying could not find file (source docx)
Thread poster: Emily Phillips

Emily Phillips  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:27
Spanish to English
Feb 1, 2012

Hello,

I am new to Trados but I have never had this problem before.

I opened a new file (Word, docx) to work on and saved in in the location I wanted. Everything seemed to be going smoothly until I tried to routinely save my work before leaving my desk and an error message popped up.

It says 'Could not find file NAME OF MY SOURCE DOCUMENT IN WORD'.

How can I make sure that it saves my work?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Emily

Michel de Ruyter  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:27
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
save file as sdlxliff...and then try again Feb 1, 2012

Just save the file first in the application so it can find the sdlxiff. I believe that will do the job.

Kind regards,
Michel

Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
that doesn't seem to work! Feb 1, 2012

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your reply! However, when I try to save as SDL XLIFF instead, it still doesn't work. An error message pops up and it says that it is unable to save as a bilingual file as it is unable to find the DOCX file.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Emily

Michel de Ruyter  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:27
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Hmmm Feb 1, 2012

That's a shame Emily. To be honest my experience with Studio 2009 probably doesn't go a lot further than yours. However, I think it shouldn't be too difficult to solve this but I don't have any other ideas besides that you maybe have to find the exact location of your previously saved document, and make sure your to-be-saved document has exactly the same name. Hopefully then it will say 'do you want to replace...?' or something like that.

Good luck, best, Michel

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
not 100% sure, but... Feb 1, 2012

I believe the file should be saved in the location where you opened it from... if you opened it and then you saved it somewhere else, the program can't find it anymore! Open a fresh copy of the document from your chosen folder, i.e. the folder where you want the file to be saved on your PC (apply your TM in the process, so you get the matches), and then try and save it. It should work...

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:27
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Workround Feb 1, 2012

If you are sure you haven't inadvertently moved/renamed the source file while you have been working on it in Studio, you can try a workround by adding the source file to the project again under a different name:

Save the source file with another name.

Go back to the project, select Files and change to the source language in the drop-down menu on the left.
Right click in the right hand pane of the window, and select Add file. Add the file that you have just saved with a different name. Then right click the file, choose Batch Tasks and Prepare.

Once the file has been prepared, change to the target language in the drop-down menu on the left, and you should be able to open the file. It ought to use the project TM to translate itself automatically to the point you had reached in the original translation, provided you confirmed the segments as you went. Then you can try to save this translation and see what happens.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:27
English
Just to put this one to rest.. Feb 1, 2012

Giovanni was 100% correct and Emily resolved the situation as described.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I think... Feb 1, 2012

JaneD wrote:

If you are sure you haven't inadvertently moved/renamed the source file while you have been working on it in Studio, you can try a workround by adding the source file to the project again under a different name:

Save the source file with another name.

Go back to the project, select Files and change to the source language in the drop-down menu on the left.
Right click in the right hand pane of the window, and select Add file. Add the file that you have just saved with a different name. Then right click the file, choose Batch Tasks and Prepare.

Once the file has been prepared, change to the target language in the drop-down menu on the left, and you should be able to open the file. It ought to use the project TM to translate itself automatically to the point you had reached in the original translation, provided you confirmed the segments as you went. Then you can try to save this translation and see what happens.

Emily didn't create a project, but opened the file with "Open document"...

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Wow! Feb 1, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Giovanni was 100% correct and Emily resolved the situation as described.

Regards

Paul

Does this mean I've almost learnt to use Studio? icon_smile.gif

Edited for typo... not good when you are trying to be funny...icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2012-02-01 13:28 GMT]

Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 1, 2012

Thank you everyone for your help, and to Paul for talking me through it!
A very stressful situation avoided.
Emily

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to save in Studio 2009 - error message saying could not find file (source docx)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search