Can I work on a Transit NXT project with SDL Trados 2011
Thread poster: Nag Gju Schinn

Nag Gju Schinn  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 04:25
English to Korean
+ ...
Feb 1, 2012

I just got a project which is prepared by STAR Transit NXT. I wonder whether SDL Trados has an interface to be able to work onthe project. I actually bought the STAR software, but I got stuck with a problem. Anyhow I was interested in using Trados for this kind of project.

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Translate Transit XLIFF with SDL Studio Feb 1, 2012

You have to create an XLIFF file in Transit NXT or use MemoQ.

Or you can export the Transit project to TMX (without translating the segments first), translate in Studio, open the translated XLIFF file in Transit.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
How to create XLIFF in Transit Feb 1, 2012

You have to create an XLIFF file in Transit NXT

See:

http://www.proz.com/forum/transit_support/199348-how_to_create_xliff_files_with_transit_nxt.html

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:55
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If the files are NOT pretranslated Feb 1, 2012

then you simply can open the target language file in Studio.
You need to create a file type for it with the wizard for file types, but in general it works - I have used this method for German into Polish and was really glad to be able to circumvent Transiticon_smile.gif

However, in both cases - creating an XLF file or directly opening the language file in Studio - you must have Transit. Or you take MemoQ and import the Transit project there. For this purpose you do not need to have Transit.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Prefer SDL? Feb 1, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I have used this method for German into Polish and was really glad to be able to circumvent Transiticon_smile.gif

Just curious, Jerzy, why's that?

What does Studio offer that Transit doesn't?

Just had a look at your CV: I see that you have Transit Satellite. Is your CV still up to date?

Hans

[Edited at 2012-02-01 20:18 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Freedom Feb 1, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I have used this method for German into Polish and was really glad to be able to circumvent Transiticon_smile.gif

Just curious, Jerzy, why's that?

What does Studio offer that Transit doesn't?

Hans

I can do things the way I like to do them, not how the guys from the programming thought I should.
What is better in Studio:
- Tag handling. Handling tags in Transit is really a pain
- Terminology management. I know it should be possible to insert any term by a keyboard shortcut in Transit, but when you switch the keyboard to Polish it does not work. And you cannot configure your own keyboards
- Translation memory management. OK, I always work on projects prepared by agencies, but in Studio I still can add my TMs when I wish. In Transit not that easy at all
- Tranist is limited to one screen
- The screen in Transit is garbled
- Ribbon in Transit takes lots of space I could use for working otherwise
- and many more...

Simply, I do not like Transit and if I can avoid it, I always will.

PS
No, in that terms my CV seems to be outdated. I must change it.
I have Transit NXT Freelance.

[Edited at 2012-02-01 20:22 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
All a matter of personal taste :) Feb 1, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Please elaborate. What do you want to do with markups in Transit that isn't possible?

- Terminology management. I know it should be possible to insert any term by a keyboard shortcut in Transit, but when you switch the keyboard to Polish it does not work. And you cannot configure your own keyboards

That must be disappointing. Sorry, I don't do Polish ... For my target language it works very good.

BTW: Does Studio offer a way to insert all recognized terms into the current segment or file with one click? (Like MemoQ, Déjà Vu, CafeTran, Wordfast and Swordfish do?) Sorry, I'm just not that familiair with Studio -- I've been looking for this crucial feature in Studio but couldn't find it.

- Translation memory management. OK, I always work on projects prepared by agencies, but in Studio I still can add my TMs when I wish. In Transit not that easy at all

Import TMX, assign to project? Two simple steps.

Cannot comment on that. My iMac 27" is big enough for 'Doing everything on one beautiful screen' icon_wink.gif.

In a freshly installed Transit NXT you are absolutely right. I don't understand STAR's marketing decision to 'show all we've got'. I've created my own Views, Profiles etc. to ...

minimize the Ribbon, only show what is important, remove all clutter etc. I can send you a screen photo off list.

It was quite some work, but it looks very nice. Kind of Déjà Vu with character formatting. When I start proof-reading, I change my View to Proofreading and I enjoy near-WYSIWYIG (tables, font attributes etc.)

Simply, I do not like Transit

Of course you are entitled to your preferred flavor icon_wink.gif.

Hans

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Of course it is all personal taste Feb 1, 2012

[quote]Hans Lenting wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Please elaborate. What do you want to do with markups in Transit that isn't possible?[quote]
First of all tags are protected. To delete one you need to switch the protection off. But then you can't work like that, so you need to switch it off. Moving tags is problematic. Tags are cryptical, so you just see it is a tag, but you cannot see what it does.

That must be disappointing. Sorry, I don't do Polish ... For my target language it works very good.

I could switch the keyboard back and forth...
But without doing this I can only enter terms if the source term is still there. And of course then I can enter the term exactly where the source term were. Does not work fine for me.

BTW: Does Studio offer a way to insert all recognized terms into the current segment or file with one click? (Like MemoQ, Déjà Vu, CafeTran, Wordfast and Swordfish do?) Sorry, I'm just not that familiair with Studio -- I've been looking for this crucial feature in Studio but couldn't find it.

No it does not.
You type and use AutoSuggest - the only drawback of AS is that it is case sensitive.
Inserting all recognized terms in my case would mean inserting several versions of the same term. Due to the specific of Polish language I have different versions of the same word. The word "red" for masculinum is "czerwony", but "czerwona" for femininum. Same applies to many other words. In terms to have it faster, I have several versions then in MultiTerm and chose them via AutoSuggest.
Would I insert all, my segment could contain triple that much words than I need.

OK, that is something I shall test.

Cannot comment on that. My iMac 27" is big enough for 'Doing everything on one beautiful screen' icon_wink.gif.

I use two monitors, 22 and 24 inches.
And exactly as I dislike Transit, I also would not like to work on Mac. It looks beautiful, but is not convenient in use for me.
I could get me a bigger screen, but the solution with two or even three is cheaper and exactly as good.

In a freshly installed Transit NXT you are absolutely right. I don't understand STAR's marketing decision to 'show all we've got'. I've created my own Views, Profiles etc. to ...

Still, the windows are not fixed, so you can easily move one not on purpose.
In Studio you can dock windows and have the layout "fixed" to your needs. In Transit you cannot separate the terminology recognition window for example and make it bigger, it must remain within the screen of Transit and thus remains too small.

minimize the Ribbon, only show what is important, remove all clutter etc. I can send you a screen photo off list.
It was quite some work, but it looks very nice. Kind of Déjà Vu with character formatting. When I start proof-reading, I change my View to Proofreading and I enjoy near-WYSIWYIG (tables, font attributes etc.)

OK, exactly as in Word 2007/2010. Can do that.
And TBH, I do not like the WYSIWYG view. It is more work than plain text with tags.
This could be because I am an engineer and like this clear view.

Hans

Same to anyone else.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Everything is personal: why stick to the things we're used to ... Feb 1, 2012

[quote]Jerzy Czopik wrote:

[quote]Hans Lenting wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Please elaborate. What do you want to do with markups in Transit that isn't possible?

First of all tags are protected. To delete one you need to switch the protection off. But then you can't work like that, so you need to switch it off. Moving tags is problematic. Tags are cryptical, so you just see it is a tag, but you cannot see what it does.

I could switch the keyboard back and forth...
But without doing this I can only enter terms if the source term is still there. And of course then I can enter the term exactly where the source term were. Does not work fine for me.

No it does not.
You type and use AutoSuggest - the only drawback of AS is that it is case sensitive.
Inserting all recognized terms in my case would mean inserting several versions of the same term. Due to the specific of Polish language I have different versions of the same word. The word "red" for masculinum is "czerwony", but "czerwona" for femininum. Same applies to many other words. In terms to have it faster, I have several versions then in MultiTerm and chose them via AutoSuggest.
Would I insert all, my segment could contain triple that much words than I need.

OK, that is something I shall test.

I use two monitors, 22 and 24 inches.
And exactly as I dislike Transit, I also would not like to work on Mac. It looks beautiful, but is not convenient in use for me.
I could get me a bigger screen, but the solution with two or even three is cheaper and exactly as good.

Still, the windows are not fixed, so you can easily move one not on purpose.
In Studio you can dock windows and have the layout "fixed" to your needs. In Transit you cannot separate the terminology recognition window for example and make it bigger, it must remain within the screen of Transit and thus remains too small.

OK, exactly as in Word 2007/2010. Can do that.
And TBH, I do not like the WYSIWYG view. It is more work than plain text with tags.
This could be because I am an engineer and like this clear view.

Hans

Same to anyone else.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Everything is personal: we stick to the things we're used to ... Feb 1, 2012

First of all tags are protected. To delete one you need to switch the protection off.

Not true

In Transit you cannot separate the terminology recognition window for example and make it bigger, it must remain within the screen of Transit and thus remains too small.

You can make it exactly as big as you want ...

Glad we agree on that one icon_smile.gif. I only activate WYSIWYG for proofreading. For translating I use the markups.

Hans

[Edited at 2012-02-01 21:20 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Tags are not protected in NXT? Feb 1, 2012

They were protected in Satellite and in XV, at least in those projects I was forced to work with.
And I still did not find out a good method of placing tags with keyboard...
Good, I am not an expert on Transit and as I have just one or two customers for it I do not really feel the need to learn it better.
Because now I have found out how to avoid working in Transit, my world is nicericon_smile.gif

Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Markups are more flexible than tags Feb 1, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Tags are cryptical, so you just see it is a tag, but you cannot see what it does.

I missed this one.

I'm starting to wonder whether you really worked with Transit NXT.

Markups (as tags are called in Transit) are plain XML'ish formatting codes:

«b» ... «/b»
«i» ... «/i»

and so on.

These markups have 3 states:

- Show full markups
- Show condensed markups
- Show their formatting representation (AKA WYSIWYG)

I'm wondering: Is it possible in Studio to find all opening quotes followed by a «b» and replace them with «i» followed by an opening quote?

This is very easy in Transit.

Markup inserting, moving and deleting is very simple too.

So, Jerzy, you haven't convinced me yet. Not that you should icon_wink.gif. Just for the record.

Hans

[Edited at 2012-02-01 21:50 GMT]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
too tempting to stay out of this party :-) Feb 1, 2012

One of the strongest points of Transit is the treatment od embedded Office files (such as Exel tables in PowerPoint). AFAIK, SDLT Studio cannot do that at all.

You can switch between side-by-side and one-above-the-other views in Transit NXT as you like. This is very important for me.

The language pairs' approach to TM is something which takes some getting used to, but once you are there, it is difficult to go back. Very flexible and neat, IMHO.icon_smile.gif

Even in NXT you can switch to "real txt-like" mode (not as nice as in XV, I admit, since the numbered tags are still a bit weird, but you can do nearly anything you want to do in this mode).

And last but not least: Based on quite extensive experience of mine, I like Transit much more than the SDLT Studio and I will always look for methods to work on SDLT files in Transit than the other way around.icon_smile.gif.

Btw, I do not like wysiwyg at all. Either in SDLT or Transit; it is just confusing and no good for anything.

Fortunately, we are all different.

In conclusion, I am unable to resist a poke: I remember quite well the times when Jerzy was strongly opposed to TagEditor and belonged to those wo said only the Word+Workbench combo was any good. But, on the other hand, hoping that Jerzy will see the light and switch over to Transit goes a bit too far, I am afraid.icon_smile.gif

Antonin

Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Ah, your Transit knowledge is outdated ;) Feb 1, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

They were protected in Satellite and in XV, at least in those projects I was forced to work with.
And I still did not find out a good method of placing tags with keyboard...

We are living in 2012, Transit NXT has been there for 2 years now (3)? Markup handling is completely different now. Placing with a keyboard is big fun.

Mark a word, press Ctrl+1, right arrow, to assign the first markup etc. Moving markups is very easy when you press Alt. Ctrl for duplicating a markup. F4 for changing its content (e.g. bold to italics). Deleting? Press, er ... Del.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Perhaps we should take this thread to the Transit forum ;) Feb 1, 2012

Hi Antonin,

Don't I know you from somewhere? icon_wink.gif

Even in NXT you can switch to "real txt-like" mode (not as nice as in XV, I admit, since the numbered tags are still a bit weird, but you can do nearly anything you want to do in this mode).

In NXT it is also possible to turn the numbers off, only showing the XV type of tags (as they where called at that time).

I've worked with a view like that for 2 years. Now I prefer the small subscript markup numbers, because they show me how to manually insert them with Ctrl+NUMBER.

Just a matter of getting accustomed to it icon_smile.gif.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I work on a Transit NXT project with SDL Trados 2011

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search