SDLTrados Studio 2009: Can't Use my Local TM with Different Spanish Language Variants
Thread poster: Claudia Franco

Claudia Franco  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:41
English to Spanish
Feb 2, 2012

I have a local TM which is en-US>es-UY. My clients send me files in different variants of English and Spanish, such as en-UK>es-MX, en-US>en-AR, and so forth.

Is there any way I could use my local TM with any English>Spanish file I receive, no matter what their language variants are? I cannot really afford to have different TMs for each Spanish and English language variant. Is there any way I could define my TM as just English>Spanish, without specifying any language variant?

Many thanks in advance!

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
French to Polish
+ ...
No sound way in Trados... Feb 2, 2012

Claudia Franco wrote:

I have a local TM which is en-US>es-UY. My clients send me files in different variants of English and Spanish, such as en-UK>es-MX, en-US>en-AR, and so forth.

Is there any way I could use my local TM with any English>Spanish file I receive, no matter what their language variants are?

No direct way in Trados.
So why I use DVX icon_smile.gif
This feature is also available in memoQ.

In Trados, you must export as TMX, replace the language codes e.g ES-MX by e.g. ES-AR, then import in a new TM.
A pain in the neck if you must synchronize often your TMs.

More IT savvy ysers may deal with the language codes directly usning a tool like SQLite Database Browser.

I cannot really afford to have different TMs for each Spanish and English language variant. Is there any way I could define my TM as just English>Spanish, without specifying any language variant?

No.
But you can specify e.g. Spanish (Spain) and put all your TUs there.
It will be a mess but, at least, a zero administration mess.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2012-02-02 16:44 GMT]

Claudia Franco  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:41
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
This just doesn't make sense! Feb 2, 2012

Thanks very much, GG. That was most useful. Although I can't believe there's no way to avoid having to export and change my TM settings each time I have to work with a different language variant. This really doesn't make sense in Spanish, where you have variants such as Spanish (Uruguay), Spanish (Bolivia), Spanish (Mexico), Spanish (Paraguay), etc., etc.. Noone works into just one of these variants...

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
French to Polish
+ ...
Trados nonsense... Feb 2, 2012

Claudia Franco wrote:

Thanks very much, GG. That was most useful. Although I can't believe there's no way to avoid having to export and change my TM settings each time I have to work with a different language variant.

It makes no sense but it works like that.

This really doesn't make sense in Spanish, where you have variants such as Spanish (Uruguay), Spanish (Bolivia), Spanish (Mexico), Spanish (Paraguay), etc., etc.. Noone works into just one of these variants...

Well, it's the crazy logic of the Trados world...
I understand it makes sense for Chinese Traditional vs Simplified but it's a flagrant absurdity for Spanish, except very few special cases.

As I said, these variants are handled correctly in DVX, memoQ and maybe in many other tools.
I didn't check 'em all...

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLTrados Studio 2009: Can't Use my Local TM with Different Spanish Language Variants

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search