SDL Trados 2011 - problem with translating - error message not understood
Thread poster: src4bailey
src4bailey
src4bailey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Feb 2, 2012

I am a CAT tool and SDL TRados beginner and have encountered the following (new) problem. I "Open Document" on the home page and select the file and open. I confirm the options in the Open dialogue box - I am using the same TM and Automated Translation as beofre so no need to reset. I click "Save Dcoument" icon. The bilingual file appears and I click on the first segment and then translate /edit and Control + enter - the frist few segements work fine then I it stops working when I enter Control ... See more
I am a CAT tool and SDL TRados beginner and have encountered the following (new) problem. I "Open Document" on the home page and select the file and open. I confirm the options in the Open dialogue box - I am using the same TM and Automated Translation as beofre so no need to reset. I click "Save Dcoument" icon. The bilingual file appears and I click on the first segment and then translate /edit and Control + enter - the frist few segements work fine then I it stops working when I enter Control + enter - it stops moving to the new segment or generating automatic translation or TM suggestions for the next segment . The message is:-

" Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

What does this mean and what do I do about it. Could I have changed one of the settings inadvertently?

Thanks
Susannah
Collapse

Maya M Fourioti
Maya M Fourioti  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:03
Member (2010)
English to Greek
+ ...
Same problem Feb 2, 2012

I have had the same problem for a week now and I do not really know how to resolve it.It is really frustrating when you are in thw middle of a project.

Alain Pommet
Alain Pommet  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:03
French to English
Lots of other threads on this topic e.g. Feb 2, 2012

http://www.proz.com/forum.php/sdl_trados_support/214403-object_reference_not_set_to_an_instance_of_an_object.html

Also the more up-to-date formats seem to cause fewer problems. Try saving doc as docx etc. if that applies to your document.

I've found that simplifying the document if it has a lot of g
... See more
http://www.proz.com/forum.php/sdl_trados_support/214403-object_reference_not_set_to_an_instance_of_an_object.html

Also the more up-to-date formats seem to cause fewer problems. Try saving doc as docx etc. if that applies to your document.

I've found that simplifying the document if it has a lot of graphics may help too. You could possibly also split it up into chunks to find out where the problem is in the file and isolate it.

I have no technical explanation to offer though sorry - and the error message applies to many programs not just Trados (over 13m ghits) so of little help in directing you to the source of the problem.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2011 - problem with translating - error message not understood

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »