How to fix a TM
Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)

XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:52
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2012

I realise this is probably a dummy question but I've never needed to do this before.

I'm importing a TM with some 50,000+ TUs from Studio 2009 to Trados 7 and it's telling me that there's a missing/damaged tag:

'The {0> mark for starting a translation unit is missing or damaged'

Not sure how it slipped in there since every file gets cleaned... I've searched the forums and tried the SDL Knowledge Base (has ANYONE ever found a solution to their problems there?). Thank you.

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:52
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
line error occurred Feb 4, 2012

If you look at the detailed description of the error, you should be able to determine on which line the error occurred. Once you know that open the TM in an Editor, go to the line and add the missing tag.

Hope this helps.

[Edited at 2012-02-04 04:30 GMT]

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
By an 'Editor' do you mean 'Notepad'? Feb 4, 2012

Hi Lutz,

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I'm still not quite sure what I'm meant to do. The import stops in Workbench at TU No. 199. How do I find that TU in a tmx file?

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:52
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
That is what Olifant is good for: editing TMX Feb 5, 2012

You can download it from: http://okapi.sourceforge.net/

Saludos

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Anyone else used this? Feb 6, 2012

Thanks for your suggestion Jorge although I confess to being nervous of downloading software I don't know. Is this the only way to edit a tmx?

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 12:52
English to Chinese
Olifant is a good TM editor Feb 7, 2012

Hi Lisa,

I can confirm that Olifant is safe to use--it will not destroy your tmx file. I guess you could do what you'd like to do with Notepad, but what's nice about Olifant is it lists your source and target segments contained in a tmx file in a two column view, simliar to the view you get when you open your TM in Studio. In contrast, everything is shown in one big sheet in Notepad, so it's harder to find the particular segment you are looking for with Notepad.

If you are unsure, always make a copy of the tmx file before you open it in Olifant.

I only wish I have more time to learn how to use Olifant more efficiently. So far I only manage to use a few features, but that has already been very helpful to my TM managment.

Chun-yi

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion Jorge although I confess to being nervous of downloading software I don't know. Is this the only way to edit a tmx?

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to fit a txt file in Notepad Feb 7, 2012

The Olifant site seems to suggest that it is 'a work in progress' now. The odd thing is that there is no problem with the .tmx file when importing and exporting in Studio 2009, it tells me there are no errors. The problem occurs when importing to Workbench (it tells me the tag is missing or damaged). It makes no sense. Does anyone have any ideas please? I still have the export as a text file and can try and fix that in Notepad but I don't know how to find the damaged TU.

[Edited at 2012-02-07 12:14 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:52
English
You can send me the TMX? Feb 7, 2012

Hi Lisa,

If you are happy to do this you can send me the TMX and I'll have a go.. if successful I'll explain what I did.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Paul Feb 7, 2012

You ought to be knightedicon_wink.gif It's on its way.

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Feb 7, 2012

Thanks to Paul. For those of us who curse SDL when things aren't going our way, Paul makes up for all of iticon_smile.gif Not sure what the problem was but it's nice to have my TM back.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to fix a TM

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search