Trados tab missing from MS Word 2010 ribbon
Thread poster: Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:27
Member (2004)
Japanese to English
Feb 3, 2012

I just bought a new PC with Win 7 x64 and MS Word 2010. I have installed Trados Suite 2007 Freelance and Multiterm 2009 Freelance, and the Multiterm tab has appeared in the MS word ribbon, but there is no Trados tab in the ribbon. Can anyone help urgently?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:27
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Sticky thread Feb 3, 2012

Please refer to the sticky thread on this issue.
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/158614-trados_2007_toolbar_disappears_in_word_2007.html

Member (2004)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still having trouble Feb 3, 2012

No, doesn't help, sorry. I went to Options-->Add-ins, and found Termbase (which was enabled), but Trados just wasn't there.

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
kb article 1466 Feb 3, 2012

No, you have to copy the template into Word start-up folder.

This is explained in one of the links that was in the sticky thread:
http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1466&p=1

For Word 2010 you need to copy the trados8.dotm file from here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL International\T2007_FL\TT\Templates

Member (2004)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
All at sea Feb 3, 2012

No, sorry, I'm all at sea here. Upon opening the templates, there are TWO "Trados8" icons. Which is the correct one? And how do I copy it?Just Ctl+C? The "explanations" contain too much jargon that I don't understand.

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Specific instructions Feb 3, 2012

Yes, there are two Trados8 files. You need the one with the extension .dotm
By the way, are you running 64 -bit Word? Trados will only work with 32-bit Word.

These are the instructions for copying (yes, ctrl+C) the template according to KB 3359:

Close all SDL Trados / MultiTerm and Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, etc.).
To ensure that Microsoft Word is not running, open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. If Winword.exe is listed, select this, right-click and select End Process from the shortcut menu.

Locate the template file Trados8.dotm in the folder C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007\TT\Templates.

Copy that file into one of the following folders:
On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup\
On Windows Vista or Windows 7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup\

Note: If a file with the same name already exists in the folder, overwrite that file.
Start Microsoft Word 2010. You should now be able to again use SDL Trados Translator's Workbench or SDL MultiTerm from within Microsoft Word 2010.

Good luck!

Member (2004)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
x64 Feb 3, 2012

Trados will only work with Win 7 x32? I'm screwed! Yes, I'm using x64. What do I do now?

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Word, not Win7 Feb 3, 2012

Kimpatsu wrote:

Trados will only work with Win 7 x32? I'm screwed! Yes, I'm using x64. What do I do now?

No, Trados will only work with Word 32 bit (it will work with Win7 32 or 64 bits). (I'm running Trados 2007 on Win 7 64 bit and Word 32 bit)

If you're running Word 64 bit, these are your alternatives:
1. Switch to Studio 2009, which is miles better than 2007, and forget about Trados in Word.
2. Use Tag Editor, outside the Word environment
3. Get hold of a 32-bit version of Word.

Member (2004)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrading Feb 3, 2012

I have just bought Studio 2011, but there is still no Trados tab in Word. If I don't have that, I can't use MS Word at all, which means that I can't translate MS Word files.

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Last comments Feb 3, 2012

Kimpatsu wrote:

I have just bought Studio 2011, but there is still no Trados tab in Word. If I don't have that, I can't use MS Word at all, which means that I can't translate MS Word files.

MS Word files can be translated with Workbench, Tag Editor or Studio, so I can't agree with your conclusion here.

Studio 2011 is unrelated to a Trados tab in Word. I understand that you want to get Trados Suite 2007 running in Word.

Please check what version of Word you are using. Is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

If it is 32 bit, then please re-read my instructions and I think you should be able to get Trados up and running in no time.

Good luck, I'm signing off nowicon_wink.gif

Member (2004)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Word again Feb 3, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Kimpatsu wrote:

MS Word files can be translated with Workbench, Tag Editor or Studio, so I can't agree with your conclusion here.

Studio 2011 is unrelated to a Trados tab in Word. I understand that you want to get Trados Suite 2007 running in Word.

Please check what version of Word you are using. Is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

If it is 32 bit, then please re-read my instructions and I think you should be able to get Trados up and running in no time.

Good luck, I'm signing off nowicon_wink.gif

How would you deliver dirty MS Word files if you translated in Tag Editor, for example?
Anyway, I hate tag editor because of all the tags that mess up the sentences. MS Word is a much cleaner translation forum.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados tab missing from MS Word 2010 ribbon

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search