Learning to use Trados Studio 2011
Thread poster: Jane Martin

Jane Martin  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:03
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Feb 3, 2012

I have just bought myself Trados Studio 2011 and am struggling with learning how to use it despite the 'manual' and 'exercises' that it arrives with mainly I think because in these the languages I have to work with are not my languages. I am keen to get up to speed quickly. Does anyone know of a teacher, someone who would come and say, give me an intensive day-long class. I have done one of the webinars.

Any input would be appreciated.

Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
Get the first level certification course Feb 3, 2012

Have you considered getting (ok - paying for!) the first level certification course?

I don't know how this differs from the the stuff they send you with the program. I have bought the SDL Trados 2011 starter program (so some of the features are disabled) but haven't looked at what came with it particularly.

I bought the first level certification course, and followed the manual (translating from Eng into German for the exercises - and all I can say in German is 'auf dem tisch' and I can't even remember what that means!!! in the end I was just writing gibberish!!! but it doesn't matter!), and then took the test. It's a good enough level to enable me to work on single files by myself.

And I have done, I've had around 5 small translation from different places, and have carried them all out using the CAT tool, sent them back without problems.

Would this be a good enough level for you just now? Just to get started?

Silvia D'Amico  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:03
English to Italian
I used the free webinars Feb 3, 2012

I bought Studio 2011 in December and even though I was overwhelmed at the beginning, I kept watching free webinars through Proz and SDL and now I can use its basic features. I'm not a pro, but I can translate doc and pdf, create TMs and termbases. Obviously every now and then I need to look something up, either on these forums or in the manual, but so far I was able to keep up with it.

Hope it helps! All the best!

Jane Martin  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 4, 2012

... for all your input. It seems as if I need to do what I am already doing. I have completed part of the manual that came with the software but have just got a job where they want me to go to their offices and use Studio 2011 - hence the need to get up to speed very quickly. I don't want to look an idiot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning to use Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search