Java updates with SDL 2011 Studio & MultiTerm
Thread poster: sellenwright

sellenwright
Local time: 03:11
German to English
+ ...
Feb 5, 2012

Someone told me that Java updates no longer cause problems with the new 2011 version of Studio and MultiTerm, but I'm afraid to let them run. Nevertheless, not updating Java sometimes causes problems with other apps. Can anyone tell me whether this annoyance has been fixed?

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:11
Italian to English
Haven't had any problems for a while Feb 5, 2012

This is probably tempting fate but I haven't had any Java update problems for a while now. I seem to remember our resident Trados expert Jerzy Czopik saying that it was no longer an issue.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:11
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
My Java is looking for updates now automatically Feb 5, 2012

When I used T2007, I have blocked any Java updates. I did not change this setting too, when using Studio 2009.
But now, since I use Studio 2011, I have changed this. So currently my Java is version 6 update 29 build 1.6.0_29-b11. This is still Java 32 bit.
From my personal experience no problems whatsoever in that respect.

But please remember: a PC is a quite complicated creature, so it might behave different in your case, depending on the software installed. I try to keep all the "nice" small and maybe useful things out of my PC, because from what I have experienced in the past, all those small and nice applications were useless and have just crawled my PC. So if I need something I look for a professional solution...

sellenwright
Local time: 03:11
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Java updates with SDL 2011 Studio & MultiTerm Feb 5, 2012

I heartily agree that one should avoid adding extraneous Java-based apps. Alas, my local Java problems occur in the major browsers, and in my university's Java-based administrative apps. Chrome seems to limp along OK, however, and the solution to the uni problem has been that I simply moved SDL off one of my machines and let the uni dictate the version of Java that will run there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Java updates with SDL 2011 Studio & MultiTerm

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search