https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/217655-studio_2009_not_updating_tms.html

Studio 2009 not updating TMs
Thread poster: Hrvoje Pticar
Hrvoje Pticar
Hrvoje Pticar  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:38
German to Croatian
+ ...
Feb 5, 2012

Case study:

I have translated 2 files in Studio 2009, and ran a Main TM update.

I then prepared the same 2 files in Studio 2011, using the same (apparently updated) TM, and Studio 2011 can't find any of the 100% matches.

I've been having weird problems such as this for quite a while now, and recently I thought the problem might be in my just opening documents and not creating projects, but that obviously isn't the problem here.

I have no idea
... See more
Case study:

I have translated 2 files in Studio 2009, and ran a Main TM update.

I then prepared the same 2 files in Studio 2011, using the same (apparently updated) TM, and Studio 2011 can't find any of the 100% matches.

I've been having weird problems such as this for quite a while now, and recently I thought the problem might be in my just opening documents and not creating projects, but that obviously isn't the problem here.

I have no idea what is happening...
Collapse

Hrvoje Pticar
United Kingdom
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
only way to use already created TUs Feb 5, 2012

for me is using the project TMs from working folders.
You will agree that this is beyond stupid...

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:38
English to Spanish
Choose "Prepare without project TM" Feb 5, 2012

Hi Hrvoje,

Most Studio users, when creating a project, they choose "Prepare without project TM" for the prepare batch task sequence. Then you will have just your main translation memory, and no project memory.

The "Update" box for the main translation memory will be checked ("ticked") by default.

After translating each segment, if you press Ctrl+Alt+Enter or Ctrl+Enter (English keyboard), according to whichever option you want, the main TM gets updated auto
... See more
Hi Hrvoje,

Most Studio users, when creating a project, they choose "Prepare without project TM" for the prepare batch task sequence. Then you will have just your main translation memory, and no project memory.

The "Update" box for the main translation memory will be checked ("ticked") by default.

After translating each segment, if you press Ctrl+Alt+Enter or Ctrl+Enter (English keyboard), according to whichever option you want, the main TM gets updated automatically, and your main TM-saved translation units will always be ready for subsequent segments, files or projects when using that TM.

In general it is better not to use a project TM, unless you have a specific reason for doing so.

Good luck!

Miguel

[Edited at 2012-02-05 22:23 GMT]
Collapse

Hrvoje Pticar
United Kingdom
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Custom Field Values are not updated Feb 6, 2012

Thank you Miguel! Preparing without Project TM did the trick, although I don't quite understand why Studio wouldn't update the Main TM - it just goes through the motion, reports it has updated it, but doesn't do anything.

I do however have a new problem now: custom field values for TUs don't get updated with the values I've set under Project Settings/Language Pairs/TM.../Update. (in Studio 2011)

They are all just blank in the updated TM...

[Edited at 2012-02-06 0
... See more
Thank you Miguel! Preparing without Project TM did the trick, although I don't quite understand why Studio wouldn't update the Main TM - it just goes through the motion, reports it has updated it, but doesn't do anything.

I do however have a new problem now: custom field values for TUs don't get updated with the values I've set under Project Settings/Language Pairs/TM.../Update. (in Studio 2011)

[Edited at 2012-02-06 09:38 GMT]
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:38
English to Spanish
Custom field values for TUs don't get updated Feb 6, 2012

Hrvoje Pticar wrote:

I don't quite understand why Studio wouldn't update the Main TM - it just goes through the motion, reports it has updated it, but doesn't do anything.

Unfortunately I have no idea why this was happening in your case.

Hrvoje Pticar wrote:

I use plain bare bones TMs, just source and target texts, so I am sorry to say I am no help again on this.

Let's hope somebody will offer a solution here!

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 not updating TMs

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »