SDL Trados 2011 break characters
Thread poster: Stephanie V
Feb 6, 2012

I would like to add break characters to Trados Segmentation rules, which are not included in the default list (. , ? !).
How can I do?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:19
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What kind of break do you mean please? Feb 6, 2012

And in which kind of files?

Stephanie V
TOPIC STARTER
Break Feb 6, 2012

I have got an Excel file to translate, which contains HTML/XML tags (such as and
), and would like Trados to create a new segment after each one of them.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Hardly possible in Exccel I'm afraid Feb 6, 2012

But quite easy when copied to Word.
You could there format those tags with T4WinExternal or use search & replace to have real breaks there. Then replace back after translation.
At least this is the way I would go, because it is easy and clean and does not require any big knowledge in regex, creating file types in Studio and so on.

On an additional note: you cannot add any tags as segmentation rules - the behavior on tags is controlled by file types. Segmentation rules are more linguistic nature, ie dot, colon, exclamation mark and so on.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Segmentation rules can handle this Feb 6, 2012

Stephanie V wrote:

I have got an Excel file to translate, which contains HTML/XML tags (such as &ltp&gt and &ltbr&g), and would like Trados to create a new segment after each one of them.

Hi Stephanie,

You can use the segmentation rules so that HTML/XML tags (such as &ltp&gt and &ltbr&gt) create a new line. So for example, if you have this in Excel:

In Studio it looks like this:

So, if I add a couple of segmentation rules on the TM before opening the file I now see this:

To add the rules I right clicked on the TM in Translation memories view and selected Settings - Language Resources. Then select Segmentation rules - Edit. Finally add two rules.

One that uses &ltp&gt before the break and \s after the break. Then another that uses &ltbr&gt before the break and \s afterwards.

Then open the file again and select the TM containing these segmentation rules.

If the tags you quoted here are just easy examples and actualkly the file contains complete html code then the solution from Jerzy may be better. But I have come across files with pretty much only these tags in there and this is how we handled them.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2011 break characters

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search