Maria Simmen
Germany
Local time: 10:20
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 6, 2012

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a translation in SDLX (2007 SP2 Build 7035) and have a problem opening the itd files provided by the client. SDLX doesn't recognise them as translatable files.
When I try opening them by simply double-clicking on them in the Explorer nothing happens. When I open SDLX and then go through File-Open Translation I get the error message "Invalid file name".

When this came up in the past I was able to change the file extension from "itd" (lower case) to "ITD" (upper case) and that worked but now I cannot even rename the files because this option doesn't come up on the context menu.

Does anyone have any ideas on that?

Thanks in advance

Maria

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
For double click the file type must be registered in the system Feb 6, 2012

If the ITD extenstion is not connected to any program in your system, it will not open with double click.
TBH the habit of opening files with double click is not a good one - this way you will have no options on opening in any software.

Back to your problem: does the file name contain any special characters? Studio does not in fact moan about the file type, but about the file name itself. So I would closely examine that one. Maybe renaming could help.

Maria Simmen
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
renaming doesn't work Feb 6, 2012

Thanks Jerzy!

I was able to open itd files by double-clicking on them in the past and haven't changed anything in my system, so that's a bit of a mystery.

Unfortunately renaming doesn't work since the usual context menu doesn't open when I right-click on the files. The only options I get are:

Open
Print
View translation
Open with...

I tried "Open with" and selected SDLX from the menu that opens then, but still no sucess. Still, nothing happens. I don't even get an error message. The client kindly renamed the files for me but still they won't open.

As regards special characters, there aren't any in the file name. The file names are quite long though (55+ characters) and I'm wondering if that might be the problem?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Start Studio Feb 6, 2012

use the Open Document command.
What happens then?

Maria Simmen
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error message "Invalid file name" Feb 6, 2012

When I open SDLX (I don't use Studio) and go through File-Open Translation I get the error message "Invalid file name".

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, overseen this Feb 6, 2012

Sorry for bothering - but it looks for me like the file name would have something special in it.
Do you show file extensions in your system?

Maria Simmen
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, all files Feb 6, 2012

are itd files and the file type says "SDL Edit Document".

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Can you be then sure that it is an SDL Edit document? Feb 6, 2012

Sorry, I have then no idea what could happen...

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
Example? Feb 6, 2012

Can you show an example of such file name, if your confidentiality agreement with your customer does not prohibit that?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Maria Feb 6, 2012

In the meantime: are you able to open any other ITD files? Maybe something happened with your SDLX and it stopped working? In case you have some other ITD files (best of all some older ones which were opened in your computer for sure), try to open a couple of them to see if SDLX works at all.

Natalia

Maria Simmen
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Files are working now, but... Feb 6, 2012

Artem, I'd rather not give any examples of file names for confidentiality reasons. Generally, the file names are like "ASDFASDF-DEDE-1234_asdf_ASDF.itd"

Natalia, that was one of my first thoughts and SDLX is still working fine with older files.

I now managed to open the files by randomly unzipping them again and storing in a different location. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to reproduce the process, so fingers crossed none of the files I haven't touched yet plays up. I suspect it's got something to do with file protection, but not sure at all

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This shows... Feb 6, 2012

Maria Bruessler wrote:

Artem, I'd rather not give any examples of file names for confidentiality reasons. Generally, the file names are like "ASDFASDF-DEDE-1234_asdf_ASDF.itd"

Natalia, that was one of my first thoughts and SDLX is still working fine with older files.

I now managed to open the files by randomly unzipping them again and storing in a different location. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to reproduce the process, so fingers crossed none of the files I haven't touched yet plays up. I suspect it's got something to do with file protection, but not sure at all

that the problem were corrupt files.
Why should you not be able to uzip any files once again into a different folder?
That is one of the basic and very easy operations in Windows.
If you are not yet using WinZIP or other program for archiving files I would really recommend getting one, like WinZIP and learning to use it. In case of WinZIP it is: open the archive, select the files within and drag them to a desired location (drag & drop works in many if not all file manager programs and archiving programs).
Folder and file management is an essential part of our business, so it must be learned thoroughly. No accidents are allowed hereicon_wink.gif

Maria Simmen
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use Winzip and 7Zip... Feb 6, 2012

because often I find the latter to be more reliable to unzip files without corrupting them, but in this case even trusty 7Zip seems to have failed.

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
Check your hard disk for errors Feb 6, 2012

I would recommend you to check your hard disk for errors just in case. This could be an early sign of the disk starting to fail.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX doesn't recognise itd files

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search