yakky
yakky  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 7, 2012

Hello, everyone!
Today I find a problem which I have never met before.
Now I'm using TRADOS Translator's Workbench 7.0 (quite old), Tageditor, and Office XP.

I analyzed a ttx file generated from a Japanese xls file, then I used "Export unknown segments" to export a rtf file, which I wanted to translate in Word. When I tried to open this rtf file, it said "the name or path of this document is invalid..."

I have succefully opened the ttx and the source xls fil
... See more
Hello, everyone!
Today I find a problem which I have never met before.
Now I'm using TRADOS Translator's Workbench 7.0 (quite old), Tageditor, and Office XP.

I analyzed a ttx file generated from a Japanese xls file, then I used "Export unknown segments" to export a rtf file, which I wanted to translate in Word. When I tried to open this rtf file, it said "the name or path of this document is invalid..."

I have succefully opened the ttx and the source xls files, which means they are ok. I even tried another xls and ttx, and everything is fine. But why this particular word file is faulty? How can I solve this problem?

BTW: I have tried the "open and repair" method in Word, but it didn't work.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Many many thanks.
Collapse

sterios prosiniklis
sterios prosiniklis  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:00
Member (2009)
Italian to Greek
+ ...
Are there Feb 7, 2012

any non Latin characters in the name/path?

yakky
yakky  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
R:/1.rtf Feb 7, 2012

Thank you!
But the name is 1.rtf, and the path is R:/1.rtf.
So this is not the cause.
Another evidence is that I have tried another xls and ttx, and the exported word file (same name and path) is fine.

Els Hoefman
Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Path name too short, maybe? Feb 7, 2012

This error message sometimes appears when the path name is too long (and then you should move the file so that the path name is shorter). In this case my guess is maybe your path name is too short - I don't know if there is a minimum requirement for the number of characters in a path, but making sure the path is longer is worth a try.

yakky
yakky  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very strange Feb 7, 2012

I used this method to translate frequently, but this is the first time I met it.

Please note:
Another evidence is that I have tried another xls and ttx, and the exported word file (same name and path) is fine.

So the problem doesn't lies in the path or the name.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A problem about the Trados Workbench exported word file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »