Thread poster: Julia Cooper

Julia Cooper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 8, 2012

Hello

I have an RTF file consisting of a text in segments in a table with headings for segment ID, source segment, target segment, comments, status and filename - basically it looks like it has been converted from an SDLXLIFF file or similar. Is it possible to convert it back to SDLXLIFF so that I can work on it in Trados Studio (2009)?

Thanks in advance

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:40
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Save as plain text (UTF-8) and change the ending to xlf Feb 8, 2012

then try to open in Studio
If the structure is a valid xlf it will work directly.

Otherwise I would simply modify the rtf a little bit, so that it appears like bilingual table, then split the table in two files, open each in Studio, save as SDLXLIFF, use SDLXLIFF Converter for MS Office, convert both to Word, put together and convert back.

United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but no luck Feb 8, 2012

Thanks Jerzy.

Unfortunately your first suggestion didn't work and it turns out I can't download SDLXLIFF Converter for MS Office as I only have the student edition of trados, so it looks like I'm stuck in word for nowicon_frown.gif

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Then try to prepare the rtf in order to be able to open in Studio Feb 8, 2012

If the target part is always empty, you can try to convert the rtf to table, copy source to the target side and take just that.
Without knowing more about the rtf in question (and the markups used there) there is no possibility to tell you what needs to be replaced how any by what to get the desired result. But due to a very nice search & replace function in Word it should be possible.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
DVX External view? Feb 8, 2012

Andanzadora wrote:

I have an RTF file consisting of a text in segments in a table with headings for segment ID, source segment, target segment, comments, status and filename - basically it looks like it has been converted from an SDLXLIFF file or similar. Is it possible to convert it back to SDLXLIFF so that I can work on it in Trados Studio (2009)?

It looks as a 6 column DVX External view.

Copy source to target, make the DVX codes (kinda {1}, (2) etc.) invisible (use RegEx).
Make invisible all the columns except the target.
Import to Studio.
When translating, pay a lot attention to the codes (depending of the source file format, they presence may be mandatory) .
When translated and exported, unhide all hidden items..

If the file is partially translated, it will be FAR more complex.

Cheers
GG

United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 8, 2012

Thanks for your suggestions, both of youicon_smile.gif

As there are some target segments already translated and there don't appear to be many repetitions I'm just translating in the original rtf for now and will try to figure out how to get such files into trados some other time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting RTF files to SDLXLIFF

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search