Thread poster: Paula Mahler

Paula Mahler
Argentina
Local time: 10:05
French to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 9, 2012

Hello,
I am using Trados Studio 2009 and translating a package. I have to use a superscript not present in the source text, but the format option in the banner is not habilitated. I searched for a shortcut and the Help section tells I should use Ctrl+Shift+Oemplus.
Could you tell me what Oemplus is or how to habilitate the format banner when I translate a file from a package (I don’t have this problem when it is a single word document).
Thank you very much for the answer!
Paula

Marie-Eve Beland
Local time: 08:05
English to French
Oemplus is the name of the key on the keyboard Feb 9, 2012

Hi Paula,
Oemplus is a way of naming the +/= key located at the top of your keyboard (not on the numeric pad). I believe pressing CTRL-Shift-+/= would solve your issue.
Hope this helps!
Marie-Ève

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:05
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The plus sign where the letters are Feb 9, 2012

and not the one in the numeric block.
However, you should be able to see the X² or X2 on the formatting tab - check, if there are no hidden symbols.
Please also observe, that this function may not be available for all formats, as certain format do not support adding any tags here.

Paula Mahler
Argentina
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why I can´t see X² on the formatting tab? Feb 9, 2012

Thanks all of you and Rolf (who sent me a private email) for your answers, but it does not work.
So, I am wondering: Why I can´t see X² on the formatting tab when I am translated a file packaged document?
Paula

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Toolbar Feb 9, 2012

This is what you see in standard case.
In case of a project it might however differ, as not all formats support all kind of formatting.
You should however make sure, that you can see the complete toolbar, which is called "Standard".

Paula Mahler
Argentina
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That´s what I see Feb 9, 2012

Hello Jerzy,
That´s what I see, but the format font buttons are hidden. I tried with Studio Help, but I didn´t find a solution. I tried to copy a superscript in word and to past it in the Trados window, but nothing happened.
I think the only possible solution is to retrieve the complete standard toolbar. But, how?
Nobody to the SDL Trados team to help me?
Regards,
Paula

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How can you see it, when it is hidden? Feb 9, 2012

Most probably you mean they are "grayed out" and thus inactive?
If so, then your file is in format which will not support the usage of the formatting buttons.

On a side note: using these buttons in Studio should be treated as the last resort in any format you translate, because they will always add tags instead of copy those from source. This might be a big difference.

Paula Mahler
Argentina
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, grayed out Feb 9, 2012

My problem is that the format I should apply does not exist in the source text.
In English: XXXX-6.
In Spanish: 6a XXXX.
Voila,

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What kind of source file is it? Feb 9, 2012

And TBH what is the problem in changing XXXX-6 to 6a XXXX?
If you cannot apply the format you need, because the buttons are grayed out, it means the format is not available for you at this stage. Put the part of the text in between special signs, like [xxx] or something similar an tell the customer to do the necessary formatting there.

Paula Mahler
Argentina
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 9, 2012

I´ll try with my client!
Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ctrl+Shift+Oemplus

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search