Studio - Cannot create a new TM in my usual directory
Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)

XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:22
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Feb 9, 2012

I know this is a teething problem that's the result of moving over to a new computer but I wonder if someone might please be able to help.

I had copied all my TMs across to my new computer and they are in the same directory that they were in on my old PC: Program Files (x86) > SDL > SDL Trados Studio > TMs. They're all working perfectly well but I've just noticed today that I cannot create a new TM in this directory. I'm being told that Access to the path is denied. As I say, I have no problems copying a TM, it does mention that I require Administrator permission to do so but when I click on 'Continue' it goes right ahead. I'm set up in my Windows User Account as the 'Administrator' so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any suggestions please?

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:22
English to French
+ ...
Windows 7 Feb 9, 2012

Hi Lisa,

I assume that if your path is Program Files (x86), you're using Windows 7, could you also tell me what your version of Trados is?

Right click on the folder and see what it says, may have to do with copying files from another computer, I meant right-click and select Properties

[Edited at 2012-02-09 19:00 GMT]

Does it say Read-only?

[Edited at 2012-02-09 19:04 GMT]

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2009 Feb 9, 2012

The files that I've copied over are fine. It's when I try and create a new TM that I have a problem. It's fine in Workbench (2007) but Studio won't let me do it.

Oh, and yes, I do have Windows 7.

[Edited at 2012-02-09 19:00 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe install as Admin? Feb 9, 2012

Hi Lisa,

I wonder if you installed Studio without Admin rights on your new PC? So it can use the TMs you copied there but can't write one to this location. This KB may be useful:

http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3310&p=1

Maybe reinstall with correct rights if you didn't and the problem may sort itself out.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure how I installed it Feb 9, 2012

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion. Crikey, it looks messy though. Might it just be a quicker solution if I move all the TMs across to My Documents or am I making a rod for my own back further down the line?

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workbench also not fine Feb 9, 2012

I also noticed tonight that the TMs that I have created in Workbench since moving over to this new PC have a 'padlock' on them on the list in Workbench. I can create a TM in Workbench (which I cannot do in Studio), do everything with it as normal but I cannot see the TM when I look in the relevant directory in Windows Explorer! The plot thickens.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Read-Only Feb 9, 2012

Looks like a read-only issue, try another folder

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fine elsewhere Feb 10, 2012

I can create a new Studio TM in 'My Documents' for example and a new Workbench TM created in 'My Documents' has no padlock sign on it. Is the simplest answer to transfer all TMs to that folder? Is that likely to create further conflicts down the line? Where does everyone else store their TMs?

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not in Program Files Feb 10, 2012

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

I can create a new Studio TM in 'My Documents' for example and a new Workbench TM created in 'My Documents' has no padlock sign on it. Is the simplest answer to transfer all TMs to that folder? Is that likely to create further conflicts down the line? Where does everyone else store their TMs?

I imagine most people use the Documents folder. Certainly not Program Files, because that wasn't designed for this sort of thing. As you just found out, Program Files is "restricted access" - that's designed to protect the installed applications from accidental deletions and alterations, and from malware. You aren't supposed to put anything in Program Files manually.

The best thing you can do is create a "Work" folder and put everything in there in whatever folder structure seems logical to you. I have Work/[Customername]/[date]_[projectname]/ and within each project folder I have the translatable files, and separate folders for TM, reference and admin.
My "Work" folder is inside My Documents, but it could just as well be at C:/Work

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They had all lived in Program Files before Feb 10, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

I imagine most people use the Documents folder. Certainly not Program Files, because that wasn't designed for this sort of thing. As you just found out, Program Files is "restricted access" - that's designed to protect the installed applications from accidental deletions and alterations, and from malware. You aren't supposed to put anything in Program Files manually.

Thanks very much FarkasAndras. Yes, I take your point about not touching 'Program Files'. However, they had all been in that directory on my old computer so working on the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" basis I decided to do the same with the new computer. I'll try shifting everything over to a different folder and hopefully all will be well. I do, however, wonder why my computer is not recognising me as the Administrator when I am set up as such (?)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio - Cannot create a new TM in my usual directory

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search