Parser rules for bilingual XML in SDL Studio 2011
Thread poster: Mariusz Lasota

Mariusz Lasota
Local time: 05:16
English to Polish
Feb 9, 2012

Hello everyone,

I have a ton of bilingual XML files to translate. What everything comes down to is that I have a translation unit which looks like this:

&lttu creationdate="20120208T111604Z">
&ltprop type="Txt::ID Code">1985560
&ltprop type="Txt::Quality">0
&lttuv lang="EN-GB">
&ltseg>The control panels shown in the illustrations in this manual will not match the SG 3100SNw control panel exactly.
&lt/seg>
&lt/tuv>
&lttuv lang="PL">
&ltseg>The control panels shown in the illustrations in this manual will not match the SG 3100SNw control panel exactly.
&lt/seg>
&lt/tuv>
&lt/tu>

I need &lttuv lang="EN-GB"> to appear in the source column and &lttuv lang="PL"> in the target column, much like it happens in XLIFF files.

All I managed to do myself can do myself is to make either or both of them appear as translatable content but it is NO GOOD. The &lttuv lang="EN-GB"> tag is supposed to be nontranslatable but I need to see it in case &lttuv lang="PL"> already has some fuzzy much.

For instance to only translate the PL tag I use //tuv[@lang='PL']/seg
To translate both I can use //tu/tuv/seg

I hope I've made my problem clear.

Can anyone help me on this one, please, please, please?

[Edited at 2012-02-09 19:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-09 19:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-09 19:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-09 19:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-09 19:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-09 19:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-09 19:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-09 19:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-09 19:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-09 20:04 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you create your own filetype? Feb 9, 2012

Seems yes.
The tag "tuv lang" has two attributes: EN and PL
The attribute EN shall be set non translatable, while PL is always translatable.
Go to parser rules, select the tag and press Edit.
In Rule type chose: Attribute, then chose Element (tuv lang) and set the attributes accordingly.

Or, to make your life easier, send me a representative XML file to get the file type back.
Use jerzy at czopik dot com for this.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
BTW, use entities in the forum Feb 9, 2012

To display < use & lt ; and for > use & gt ; (without spaces obviously).

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What is going on here? Feb 9, 2012

From what you posted, it seems pretty clear that the file is a TMX file.
Why were you given TMX files to translate? It seems like some clueless client/PM/colleague might have messed up a bit.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
These are TMX files Feb 9, 2012

My assumption it will be easy to set the attribute EN-GB non translatable has proven wrong
I have been looking for a tmx to xlf converter, but could not find any.
The Open Language Tools should allow to do that, but unfortunately all downloads on their site are gone...

Mariusz Lasota
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
no one messed up, it's a serious client Feb 9, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

From what you posted, it seems pretty clear that the file is a TMX file.
Why were you given TMX files to translate? It seems like some clueless client/PM/colleague might have messed up a bit.

The client has a proprietary web-based CAT tool which is extremely unpleasant to work with, but offers project export in tmx (XML) format. Files can be uploaded after processing.
I'm looking for ways to make life easier. Solution to this problem will potentially benefit a dozen other people, too.

Thanks!

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
OK Feb 9, 2012

I see. It's quite odd that they decided export the projects into a translation memory format, but stranger things have happened, I guess.

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Okapi Rainbow Feb 10, 2012

You might try Okapi Rainbow - just insert the files in Input List 1, check the language codes on the Languages and Encodings tab and run Utilities > Translation Kit Creation (make sure you specify appropriate output folder and package name).

Select the package folder, go to work folder - there you have your xlf file. After you finish translating put package\manifest.rkm into Input List 1 and run Utilities > Translation Kit Post-Processing. Then look for the final tmx file in the output folder.

Mariusz Lasota
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for the suggestion Feb 10, 2012

Jabberwock wrote:

You might try Okapi Rainbow - just insert the files in Input List 1, check the language codes on the Languages and Encodings tab and run Utilities > Translation Kit Creation (make sure you specify appropriate output folder and package name).

Select the package folder, go to work folder - there you have your xlf file. After you finish translating put package\manifest.rkm into Input List 1 and run Utilities > Translation Kit Post-Processing. Then look for the final tmx file in the output folder.

Thank you so much for this suggestion, however I am looking for a neat solution that would allow me to import my bilingual XML into Studio 2009/2011 without resorting to additional software.
The goal is to simplify the process rather than to add to it and is also based on the assumption that this can be done, similarly to handling XLIFFs. I was hoping I could study native XLIFF parser rules but these are hidden in Studio, so if someone has access to or knows where XLIFF parser rules are published on the web, it would also be very helpful.
Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Parser rules for bilingual XML in SDL Studio 2011

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search