Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:47
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Feb 9, 2012

My latest Trados problem!

I was sent an MS Word 2003 document to translate with several number lists and bullet lists. I have Word 2007 BTW. After translating, everything looks perfectly normal in MS Word on my computer, but the proofreader I sent the translated Word file to, cannot see the bullets or number lists. So out of curiosity, I converted my Word doc to pdf, and no bullets of numbers show up in the pdf file, but it's even stranger that the proofreader can't see the bullets or numbers on her computer in MS word.

I still have a few files to translate for the same client, all with bullets, so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:47
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do the bulleted lists show in PDFs from customer files? Feb 9, 2012

Do you see the bullets in your Word?
Which font is used to format the bullets?
Are these automated lists or just all manual stuff?
Do you have all fonts necessary for the Word file?
How do the list show up in Studio?
Didn't you miss any tags?

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
To answer your questions, Jerzy: Feb 10, 2012

Hi Jerzy
Yes I see bullets in my Word (but the proofreader doesn't)
The format is Century Gothic.
Automated, I think. I didn't create them.
I do have the fonts.
They are not seen in Studio.
No missing tags.

Thanks!

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not in such a rush now! Feb 10, 2012

Although, I don't think I can provide much more useful info except that the bullets are automated lists. This is the first time it has happened and seems totally weird. The second file I just delivered did not have this problem. I can only reiterate that the proofreader can't see the bullets but I can.

Cheers!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Bullets visible in the PDF created from an untranslated file? Feb 10, 2012

Maybe the buletted list is badly formated already in the source?
Word never tells you, that you miss a font. It just substitutes... And this can very well lead to problems.

Vocabulum
I had the same issue Feb 12, 2012

Hi

Save your 2003 DOC file as DOCX (2007) Problem solved, at least for me. It seems Studio 2011 does not like word 2003 formats.

Give it a try, it worked perfectly for me. First save your 2003 document as 2007, then convert it with Studio.

I hope this helps.

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Bullet list is OK in source Feb 13, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Maybe the buletted list is badly formated already in the source?

That's the strange thing. The source text is fine. If I convert the source to pdf, the bullets and number lists do show up, whereas if I convert the Word document (after translation in Studio) to pdf, the bullets and number lists disappear.

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I tried you suggestion, but no luck Feb 13, 2012

Vocabulum wrote:

Save your 2003 DOC file as DOCX (2007) Problem solved, at least for me.

Hi Vocabulum,

I tried you suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work.

Thanks anyway

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try the tip with Word 2007 Feb 13, 2012

if this is possible for you.
Otherwise I indeed do not have much explanation.
The one I could think of is the font substitution. Word does never inform the user, that a font is missing. It just substitutes it with something available on your system. Then you translate the file, what causes major changes in the file, caused for example by the language switch. So when opening the file now, after translation, Word substitutes the font, which already hasn't been existent, with another font and thus makes the change.
This happened to me many years ago, whe I get a document in Helvetica. It was not there, so Word substituted it by Arial. But I translated it into Polish, and Word expected Helvetica CE there. It was also not present, so the substitution now was Times New Roman. I mean this was of course a consequence of using Trados-Word-combo, but shows how Word "thinks".

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Finally realized what happened Feb 15, 2012

I use a Word add-in called Code Zapper which does a good job of cleaning up Word files but I hadn't realized I had to use the function "CZBack" which brings the codes back as they were before translation.

Thanks for you help and sorry if I wasted your time.

Cheers!

Rich

kalninairena
Latvia
Local time: 05:47
English to Latvian
+ ...
Thanx, for me it also helped! Feb 22, 2012

I had problems with bullets and numbering, the segments just wouldn't close. I tried to save doc in docx, and now the problem seems solvedicon_smile.gif Thanx.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with bullets and number lists, using Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search