https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/218038-how_to_activate_track_changes_in_ttx_text_trados_studio_2009.html

how to activate track changes in ttx text (trados studio 2009)
Thread poster: Maria Kalous (X)
Maria Kalous (X)
Maria Kalous (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Greek to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2012

Dear all,

I have been given a ttx file to revise using trados. My version is studio 2009, i.e. tag editor is already incorporated into trados. How can I activate the editing function? Is there a "track changes" option similar to the one in Word?

Many thanks in advance for all your help!

Best,

Maria

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:50
English to Spanish
Studio - How to track changes Feb 11, 2012

Hi Maria,

First, create a project as you would normally do in Studio adding at the appropriate step your TTX file, then:

1) Go to Tools/Options
2) Click on "Editor" to expand the option list
3) Click on "Track Changes". On the right you will find the options you need. You will need to have the "Review" checkbox checked.
4) Open your project if you have not done so
5) Click on the "Files" tab (bottom left of the screen)
6) Right-click
... See more
Hi Maria,

First, create a project as you would normally do in Studio adding at the appropriate step your TTX file, then:

1) Go to Tools/Options
2) Click on "Editor" to expand the option list
3) Click on "Track Changes". On the right you will find the options you need. You will need to have the "Review" checkbox checked.
4) Open your project if you have not done so
5) Click on the "Files" tab (bottom left of the screen)
6) Right-click on the file name
7) Choose "Open for Review". The file will open automatically in "Editor" view, for you to start work.
8) When you are done, save your file as a TTX file.

NOTE: Studio always creates an intermediate file SDLXLIFF, which will contain your tracked changes. As far as I know, a TTX file does not have this feature. So, if you need the translator to see your edits as tracked changes, probably you will need to send him/her the SDLXLIFF file. I hope somebody will correct me if I am wrong on this.

Good luck!

Miguel

[Edited at 2012-02-11 00:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-11 00:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-11 00:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-11 01:15 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Kalous (X)
Maria Kalous (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio - How to track changes Feb 11, 2012

Dear Miguel,

Many thanks for your swift reply! Unfortunately, I can find no "track changes" option under "editor" or any other heading for that matter... The only options I get under "editor" are: spelling, translation results window, concordance search window, font adaptation, automation, auto-propagation, languages. I don't know what else to do.

Kind regards,

Maria

Miguel Carmona
United States
English to Spanish
Track changes is a feature of Studio 2011 not Studio 2009 Feb 11, 2012

Hi Maria,

I am terribly sorry.

I completely forgot that the "Track Changes" feature was only implemented in Studio 2011. It was not part of Studio 2009.

Hopefuly somebody will be able to help you solve your situation.

Good luck!

Miguel

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:50
English
One possibility that may be useful... Feb 11, 2012

Hi Maria,

If you want to be able to show the changes you have made and you are using 2009 instead of 2011 then there is a great OpenExchange application called SDLXLIFF Compare. So you save a copy of the sdlxliff you get (the Studio bilingual file after opening the TTX in Studio), and then work on it. Once complete you save another copy with a different name and then compare the two. It;s very simple to use and the rendition of the changes is very clear and useful. If you keep c
... See more
Hi Maria,

If you want to be able to show the changes you have made and you are using 2009 instead of 2011 then there is a great OpenExchange application called SDLXLIFF Compare. So you save a copy of the sdlxliff you get (the Studio bilingual file after opening the TTX in Studio), and then work on it. Once complete you save another copy with a different name and then compare the two. It;s very simple to use and the rendition of the changes is very clear and useful. If you keep copies of the sdlxliff at different stages of the translation and review workflow then you can easil;y revert back to one, or compare any you like. The change report can also be shared with someones else.

You can find it here:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=114

And the report, which can also be customised if you like, looks like this:

So it tracks the status and the changes made in the target, as well as displaying any comments added through Studio.

Maybe this will be useful for you?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
United States
English to Spanish
SDLXLIFF Compare Feb 11, 2012

Thank you, Paul!

I did not know about the existence of SDLXLIFF Compare. What a great application. I also like SDLXLIFF Converter.

Two very useful tools for translators.

Miguel

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:50
English
Great tools on the OpenExchange Feb 11, 2012

Hi Miguel,

There are many really useful tools on the OpenExchange... so worth browsing around from this page:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/#tab2

Keep an eye out this week for a couple more really excellent, useful for Freelancers, and free apps that should be published by the end of the week.

... See more
Hi Miguel,

There are many really useful tools on the OpenExchange... so worth browsing around from this page:

Keep an eye out this week for a couple more really excellent, useful for Freelancers, and free apps that should be published by the end of the week.

But I agree with you on SDLXLIFF Compare... that's one of my favourites.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
United States
English to Spanish
New OpenExchange applications - SDLXLIFF to Bilingual Doc? Feb 11, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Miguel,

But I agree with you on SDLXLIFF Compare... that's one of my favourites.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I hope you refer to this:

SDL Support wrote:
...the new App due for release soon that converts the SDLXLIFF to TTX/Bilingual Doc/TMX has the potential to be a better solution...
Paul

To provide bilingual Word files I have been using successfuly the workaround with Workbench that some kind contributors (Emma and Jerzy, that I can remember) have described on this forum, but it would be great to be able to let go of Workbench once and for all, and be able to work in an all inclusive environment.

TTXit! solved the need for TagEditor for creating TTX files, but we still depend on Workbench for creating bilingual Word documents for processing in Studio.

Miguel

[Edited at 2012-02-11 21:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-11 21:24 GMT]

Bogdan Dusa
Bogdan Dusa  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 07:50
English to Romanian
+ ...
How to use this application Nov 23, 2012

Hi Paul,

I'm also interested in this application. I worked on a docx file opened with Trados Studio, I received the reviser's changes in a new sdlxliff file. I replaced my initial sdlxliff file in the project folder I had created with this new new sdlxliff file and I'm able to see the modifications as track changes, but I cannot accept / reject them. I suppose this is only possible in the 2011 version, although it's a little bit strange to only be able to view track changes in the 2
... See more
Hi Paul,

I'm also interested in this application. I worked on a docx file opened with Trados Studio, I received the reviser's changes in a new sdlxliff file. I replaced my initial sdlxliff file in the project folder I had created with this new new sdlxliff file and I'm able to see the modifications as track changes, but I cannot accept / reject them. I suppose this is only possible in the 2011 version, although it's a little bit strange to only be able to view track changes in the 2009 version and not accept / reject them).

Anyway, I installed this app, but afterwards? How do I open it? How can I compare the initial and the revised version?

Thank you very much,

Bogdan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to activate track changes in ttx text (trados studio 2009)

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »