International Translation Day 2018

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event September 25-26th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Creating a ttx or sdlxilff from 2 docx files
Thread poster: Laurent Chevrette

Laurent Chevrette  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
English to French
Feb 12, 2012

Hello everyone (and Trados 2009 experts..),

I would like to create a bilingual ttx or sdlxliff (does not matter which one) from one ENG source file and one FR target file.

I translated it directly in MS Word and now I want to update my TM and I want to work on it in Trados.

It is 20K words, so please do not suggest copy pasting. I know there is some old Trados 7 software called WinAlign. Could it be used? Otherwise, what are other ways to do that? Faster is better, of course

Many thanks!

Laurent

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:19
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use WinAlign for this Feb 12, 2012

With WinAlign however you will be able to create a translation memory in TMX format.
If you need the SDLXIFF file directly and your files have exactly the same formatting, you could open first the English one in Studio, copy all source to target, save as SDLXLIFF.
Do the same with French.
Now take the SDLXLIFF converter, convert both to DOCX.
Take one of those and replace the target column there with the target column from the other Word file.
This will however only work, when the segmentation of both files will be 100% identical. As this is hard to achieve in Word, you could also convert both texts to table, save as Excel files, compare that the tables are equal and then use the Excel files as source for SDLXLIFF.

Laurent Chevrette  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Last step Feb 12, 2012

Hello Jerzy,

Thank you for your reply.

I am almost done trying the sdlxliff thing. However, now that I have 2 files : source-source and target-target, both sdlxliff, I am not sure about how to generate bilingual DOCX files?

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:19
English to Spanish
1) WinAlign -> 2) Studio Feb 12, 2012

I just noticed that this might be a little too late, but I will post it anyway!icon_smile.gif

I wonder if something like this might work:

1) Align both files using WinAlign
2) Review the resulting project to make sure all alignment is correct
3) Export as TMX
4) In Studio 2009 upgrade TMX to sdltm format
5) Create a translation project in Studio 2009 using the original untranslated source file and your newly upgraded TM (sdltm).

NOTE: If this workflow works, which unfortunately I do not know, you might need to experiment a little bit with the Minimum Match Value (Tools/Options/All Language Pairs/Batch Processing/Pre-translate Files/Minimum Match Value) and lower it to, say, 99% or 98%, to get better results with the pretranslate task.

Hopefully somebody with expert knowledge on this can clarify if this path might work.

Good luck!

benosimo
Local time: 10:19
Precisely Feb 12, 2012

I've recently had the joy of solving this problem myself. As Miguel suggested it is possible to use Winalign to generate a TMX file which you can consequently upgrade with Studio 2009 to a .sdltm file. (Which is exactly what I did at first).

But what I ended up doing is simply importing the newly generated tmx into my current translation memory under the translation memory tab. You right-click on your TM and select import, which gives you the option to select a file to import. Evidently you'll want to backup your current translation memory before you attempt this; just in caseicon_smile.gif

Hope this helps!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:19
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Look at the files from different perspective Feb 13, 2012

Laurent Chevrette wrote:

Hello Jerzy,

Thank you for your reply.

I am almost done trying the sdlxliff thing. However, now that I have 2 files : source-source and target-target, both sdlxliff, I am not sure about how to generate bilingual DOCX files?

If you open one of the DOCX files, you will see it having two columns: one called source, the other one target. Of course both contain the same source text in your case, but this doesn't matter now.
Open the second document, which has exactly the same structure, but with the other language.
Select the column called target, but DO NOT select the header of the column. I know this is more work, but this way is really better. Copy the column.
Go to the other file, click in the first cell of the target column (the one below header) and press CTRL+V.
Now the content of the target column of the file with the other language will be pasted into the target column of the file with the first language. So you will have a bilingual file there.
Check, of the columns do fit, if not you could try to adapt them, because they must fit.
If you now convert this bilingual file to SDLXLIFF, you have a translated document there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a ttx or sdlxilff from 2 docx files

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search